In the due course of this article we will see more on how you can unlock the Boot loader as well as also we will see on how one can root their Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY phone easily. Please note that performing the steps which are mentioned in this article will potentially not only root the phone but also the warranty of the phone will get void which may or may not be reversible and for which we should not be held responsible for in any manner. So, let’s start with the unlocking of boot loader first and then followed by the instructions to root the phone.
Disclaimer: Please note that we should not be held responsible in any manner just in case if you spoil the phone after following the below mentioned instructions which is very unlikely if you follow the instructions which are mentioned below carefully. Also, in the due course of this article since you will be unlocking the boot loader and also you will be rooting, the warranty will be void which is not a reversible process.
This article is splitted up in two pages which, in this page you will see the procedure to unlock, while in the next page you will see on what are the instructions to root the phone.
Procedure to unlock the Boot loader:
- First up you will have to visit the Sony Ericsson Website after which you will be able to view the instructions and then after that you will have to download the Unlock Bootloader Zip file in your computer after which you need to unzip the same to get the android_winusb.inf-file. This is the standard Android file, with a few lines of code added to enable Fast boot to support Sony Ericsson devices. Also, you need to download the Android SDK in your computer.
- Now, you will have to place this unzipped file in the “usb_driver” folder in the Android SDK folder which is there in your computer. Now after this if there is any prompt saying replacing the old android_winusb.inf-file with the new file then accept the same.
- Now, after this simply turn Off the phone and after which push and continue holding the unlock button* on your phone at the same time as you connect the phone to the computer with a USB-cable.
- After this you will be asked for the drivers and then you need to select the path pointing to the usb_driver-folder where you placed the android_winusb.inf-file, and select the Android Boot loader Interface-file. If you are not asked for drivers, and your phone starts to boot as usual, it is not possible to unlock the boot loader on your phone.
- After this next up open the command prompt window and go to the tools folder in your Android SDK folder from your computer and then go to the tools folder in the Android SDK folder on your computer.
- Now, enter the fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce getvar version, and verify that you get a response back (for example “0.3”). This means your phone is connected properly. Please note that just in case if the fast boot displays <waiting device> then you will have to check the host for the USB device status. If there any any unknown devices which are present, then check the driver installation or if the phone boots in the normal mode or in the fast boot mode then that means that the boot loader cannot be unlocked.
- Now, once you are done with the above procedure, you will have to go to the Sony Ericsson’s Xperia Play page and then need to select the option of “Continue” which is there located at the bottom of the page.
- Now, after this you will have to click on the “Yes, I’m sure” option and then you will have to proceed to continue after which again you will get the notification of as shown in the below screen capture where in you need to accept the legal terms as shown by ticking on both the options and clicking on the “I Accept” option.
- Now, after this you will be getting a form wherein you need to fill in the details which are mentioned below, Please note that you will have to enter the details carefully or else there is a high probability that you won’t be able to unlock the boot loader.
As soon as you enter the details, you will get the code and then there you go, enter the same to unlock the boot loader of your Sony Ericsson Xperia Play. Now, in the next step lets check out on how you can easily root the same.