How to Unlock Bootloader of Nexus 5 Android Phone – Guide
Before proceeding to the installation of any custom ROM firmware in your Nexus 5 Android Device, it’s very important to unlock the Boot loader. So, for all those users who have already bought the device and want to taste your device with the latest custom ROM firmware so as to make the most of it can now install the same. So, after following the list of quick pre requisites you can proceed to the detailed guide which will allow you to unlock the boot loader.
Note: Boot loader unlock process is only for Advanced Users and this will only be meaningful if you want to install the custom ROM firmware. Warranty will get void upon boot loader unlock, though the boot loader can be locked again in your Nexus 5. Make sure that you completely follow the below mentioned procedure before proceeding.
Quick pre Requisites:
- Before proceeding to anything else, make sure that you have already setuped the much needed Android SDK in your computer from www.android.com in your computer. Simply download the latest Android SDK from Google, unzip the contents of the file, and head into the platform-tools folder where adb and fastboot should be located automatically. Open a command prompt from within there.
- Up next make sure that you have created a backup of all your data with the help of below mentioned steps. Alternatively, you can also create a backup of all the data with the help of PC Suites.
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log - Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- Once you have created the backup, make sure that your Nexus 5 is left with the minimum of 40% battery life so as to make sure that device doesn’t get turned off in the middle of firmware update.
Disclaimer: We should not be held responsible or liable in any manner for any damage caused to the device due to not following instructions.
Once you are done with all the above mentioned steps, proceed to the next step where we have mentioned the detailed guide to unlock the boot loader.
Procedure to Unlock Bootloader of Nexus 5 Android Phone:
- Head over to the path “Settings > About Phone” to enable the “Developer options” by tapping on “Build Number” 5-6 times.
- Once enabled, in Developer options, enable the “USB Debugging” option. Connect your device to the computer with the help of original USB cable and open the command prompt in your computer to enter the below mentioned commands in your device.
adb reboot bootloader
(Note: If using a Mac, the command will be /adb reboot boot loader or ./fastboot -insert command-)
- Once the boot loader screen appears, Tap on the Volume Up to highlight “Yes,” and Power to select it. Your phone will then be erased and the boot loader unlocked, it won’t take more than 2 -3 minutes for this process.
fastboot oem unlock
- Once it’s done, your device will be boot loader unlocked. You can now unlock the device.
Note: If the device gets into the boot loop sequence or say gets stuck in the welcome screen, just re boot the device and re follow the above instructions so as to again follow the above mentioned instructions.
Do let us know in the comments section just in case if you face any issues in the process of boot loader unlock.