Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo users can now smile as in this article we will check out on how to unlock the boot loader. This will ensure that you will be able to install the custom ROMs as well as root the phone too. Please note that in the process of this the warranty of the device will be lost, the only way with which you can revoke the root access is by applying the firmware again. Also, the best part is that you can even install the alpha cum beta releases of the latest Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich builds for your phone which we will be coming out very soon followed by a rooting article as for installing the custom ROMs one has to unlock the boot loader and also you need to root the same.
Before proceeding, you need to ensure that all the data is backed up easily so that just in case if the data get backed up, the same can be restored easily. It’s not recommended to back up the data using the PC Suite as it may or may not detect the current firmware. With the help of below mentioned tools, you can backup / restore the data.
Notes – Backup in the mail so that you can then restore manually
SMS Messages – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts Stored in Phone Memory – Sync with the Gmail application,
Videos, Images, Videos & Files etc.– Copy to internal / External SD Card,
Internet & MMS Settings – Backup all the settings from “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
So, now let’s head directly to the instructions wherein we will check out on how to unlock the boot loader.
Procedure to Unlock Boot loader in Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo:
- Before proceeding, you first need to have the fast boot in your computer for unlocking the boot loader of the Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo. Also, you need to install the Android SDK in your computer so that to get the fast boot shell in your computer.
- Now, in your Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo, open the Phone application and dial *#06# to show up the IMEI number in your phone and then you need to note down the same so that just in case in an unlikely event if the IMEI number gets lost, the same can be easily restore the same.
- Enable the USB Debugging Mode in your Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo from path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging” enable that this option is ticked. After this, you need to disable / close all the tools like Firewalls, Antivirus suites as these generally tend to interrupt the process of firmware update.
- It’s now time to power Off the device so as to enter the device in the boot loader mode. Now, you need to Press & hold the Menu button while connecting the Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo to the computer with the help of original USB cable.
- Open the terminal window in your computer and then you need to enter the below mentioned command and now ensure that the Sony Xperia Neo to the computer
fastboot -i 0x0fce getvar version
- Please note that once the above command is processed, you now need to visit Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo Boot loader page and then on the page on the boot loader page, click on the “Continue” button which is located at the bottom of the page after which you will be presented with “Are you really sure?” prompt. Read the prompt & if you agree, click “Yes, I sure”.
- After this it will prompt you to enter the 14 digits of IMEI number of your Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo minusing the last digit, you name along with the email address.
- After this you will be given the unlock code, write it down as you now need to enter the below mentioned command in the terminal.
fastboot -i 0x0fce oem unlock 0xKEY
- Please note that the “KEY” in the above command should be replaced with the key which you have got. If the above command fails to get processed, you need to ensure that the phone is connected well and also you need to ensure that the charge left in the device is minimum of 60%.
So, that’s it you have now successfully unlocked the boot loader of your Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo phone easily. Do let us know just in case if you need any assistance in the comments section as we will ensure that all your issues are sorted out at the earliest.