SONY Ericsson Xperia P smartphone can now be installed with many custom ROM firmwares and in the due course of the article we will be checking out on how one can unlock the boot loader. Boot loader unlocking will enable the one to root and install the custom recovery images in Xperia P. In the coming days we will be coming out with the latest Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0 in the form of custom ROM firmware. As of now the Official update hasn’t arrived but as in when it arrives, we will update the same.
Disclaimer: Neither AndroidAdvices, nor SONY should be held responsible for any damage happened to your device in the process of following the instructions mentioned in this article. It’s very unlikely that there will be any issues but just in case if at all there are any issues then we are committed to help you in solving the same.
In the process of this article, we will be checking out on what are the list of pre requisites one has to follow, followed by the detailed guide mentioned in the next page. Once the boot loader is unlocked, the warranty of your Xperia P will be lost. The only way with which you can reclaim the warranty is by locking the boot loader for which we will soon be coming up with an article.
- Dial *#06# in your phone to get the IMEI number. Note it down at the safe place as it may be required at a later stage.
- All the data in your Xperia P should be backed up as there is a probability that it may get corrupted or wiped off. With the help of below steps, you can manually backup the data.
Notes – Backup in the mail so that you can then restore manually
SMS Messages – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts Stored in Phone Memory – Sync with the Gmail application,
Videos, Images, Videos & Files etc.– Copy to internal / External SD Card,
Internet & MMS Settings – Backup all the settings from “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- Charge left in your Xperia P should be a minimum of 60% so as to ensure that the it doesn’t get turn Off in the process of bootloader unlock. If the battery is less than 50% then the boot loader unlock process may get interrupted.
- From the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging” enable the USB Debugging in your Xperia P. USB Debugging Option should be ticked.
- Disable all the tools like Firewall and Antivirus in your computer so as to make sure that it doesn’t interrupt the process of boot loader unlock.
Now, assuming that all the above conditions are followed, you can now proceed to the next page where we have summed up the detail instructions to unlock the boot loader.
Procedure to unlock the Boot loader of SONY Xperia P:
- Visit Sony Ericsson Xperia P Boot loader pagein your computer and then click on he “Continue” option at the bottom of the page. Up next you will get a pop up showing the message “Are you really sure?” prompt. Read the prompt & if you agree, click “Yes, I sure”.
- Open the terminal window in your computer and then you need to enter the below mentioned command and now ensure that the Xperia P to the computer
fastboot -i 0x0fce getvar version
- After this, enter the IMEI of your Xperia P device for which you need to unlock the bootloader and then you need to enter the details like email address and name.
- Up next you will get an unlock code which you need to enter in the below mentioned command by replacing the “KEY” with the IMEI number.
fastboot -i 0x0fce oem unlock 0Xkey
It’s very important to enter the correct IMEI number or else the whole process will have to be repeated.
Do let us know just in case if you need any assistance in the comments section as we will ensure that all your issues are sorted out at the earliest. Congratulations you have now successfully unlocked the boot loader of SONY Xperia P device.