SONY recently rolled out 3 new smartphones namely U, P & SOLA. In the due course of this article we will be checking out on what are how you can easily unlock the boot loader of SONY Xperia U smartphone. Just in case if you are thinking that on what are the benefits of unlocking the boot loader, then we would like to tell you that once the bootloader is unlocked you can root the device, install the apps which need root access and also you can install the custom ROM firmwares. Just in case if your device is already rooted, you need not unlock the boot loader as the device is already unlocked and installed with the custom ROM firmware.
Disclaimer: Neither AndroidAdvices, nor SONY should be held responsible for any damage caused to your device which is a very unlikely if you follow all the mentioned instructions mentioned in this article.
Note: once you unlock the bootloader, the warranty will get void and the only way with which the warranty can be restored is by re locking the bootloader which we will be coming out with a detailed tutorial on AndroidAdvices in the coming days. In the process of this article we will be checking out on how you can unlock the boot loader of Xperia U with the help of pre requisites and the procedure.
There is a possibility that the user level data in your SONY Xperia U may get erased or corrupted, so we strongly recommend you to back up all the data present with the below mentioned steps manually. Don’t use PC Suite tools so as to back up the data.
Notes – Backup in the mail so that you can then restore manually
SMS Messages – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts Stored in Phone Memory – Sync with the Gmail application,
Videos, Images, Videos & Files etc.– Copy to internal / External SD Card,
Internet & MMS Settings – Backup all the settings from “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- Your phone should have a minimum battery level of 50% for ensuring that the process of bootloader unlock accomplishes successfully.
- USB Debugging in Xperia U should be ticked from the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging”. Also, additionally, disable the antivirus as well as firewall tools in your computer as these tend to disrupt the bootloader unlocking process.
Assuming that you are done with all the above mentioned processes, you can now proceed to the next page where we have summed up a detailed article on how to unlock the boot loader in SONY Xperia U.
Guide to Unlock the Bootloader of Xperia U:
- First up you need to visit the Sony Ericsson Xperia U Boot loader page, click on the “Continue” tab which you will find on the bottom part of the page. Once clicked, you will then get a pop up where it will read “Are you really sure?”, click on “Yes, I’m sure” and there you go, you now need to open the command prompt in your computer. Dial *#06# in your phone to get the IMEI number. Note it down at the safe place as it may be required at a later stage.
- Connect your phone to the computer and then in the command prompt, you now need to enter in the below mentioned command.
fastboot -i 0x0fce getvar version
- Enter the IMEI of your Xperia P device for which you need to unlock the boot loader and then you need to enter the details like email address and name.
- After this, you will now have to enter the below mentioned command and you need to ensure that the “KEY” is replaced with the IMEI number which you have got by dialing *#06#.
fastboot -i 0x0fce oem unlock 0Xkey
- Ensure that the KEY which you have replaced with the IMEI is the correct IMEI number. After entering the above command in the command prompt, you need to then follow the on screen instructions so as to unlock the boot loader.
Congratulations, you have now successfully unlocked the boot loader of your device. Do let us know just in case if you need any assistance in the comments section as we will ensure that all your issues are sorted out at the earliest.