A Phone ? A Tablet? Feel Free it’s not a Galaxy Note, its Dell Streak 5. This fabulous device from the house of Dell may have been discontinued officially but in the due course of this article we will check out on how one can install the latest Gingerbread 2.3.3 firmware which is of 407 ROM built. Please note that you need to follow the instructions carefully or else thee is a high probability that you may end up bricking the phone. Since these are the global instructions, anyone with their Dell Streak 5 can apply this update. By default, this phone comes with the Froyo 2.2 firmware version.
Disclaimer: Please note that we should not be held liable or responsible in any manner in whole or in parts if anything wrong happens to your device which is the most unlikely if you follow the instructions as prescribed in the due course of this article.
Applying this firmware doesn’t need you to root the phone and also applying this firmware doesn’t mean that the phone is rooted.
Quick Pre Requisites:
- Backup all the data present in the device so as to ensure that just in case if any data gets lost, the same can be restored easily. Please note that you should not backup the data using the PC Suites.
Notes – Backup in the mail so that you can then restore manually
SMS Messages – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts Stored in Phone Memory – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log - Call Log and Restore
Videos, Images, Videos & Files etc.– Copy to internal / External SD Card,
Internet & MMS Settings – Backup all the settings from “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- Ensure that you have ADMIN privileges in your computer so as To get the full USB read / write access. Close all the tools like Firewalls, Antivirus suites and also the PC Suites in your computer or else these tools will tend to interrupt the process of rooting.
- Also, you need to ensure that the phone is left with the minimum of 70% battery charge so as to ensure that the phone doesn’t get turned Off in the middle of rooting process.
So, assuming that all the above instructions are followed you can now proceed to the procedure to update Dell Streak 5 with Gingerbread 2.3.3.
Procedure to Update Dell Streak 5 with Gingerbread 2.3.3:
- Before proceeding, you need to Download Repair Tool Zip Package from here to your computer and then select the driver from this folder after unzipping the repair tool while updating the Dell Streak Driver in the computer.
- After this, you need to Download Recovery Image of 407 ROM from here to your computer, also download the Multi recovery flasher and unzip it in the C drive.
- After this, you need to rename the update package into the update.pkg and place this update.pkg file in the sd card and then place the recovery.img file in the multi recovery flasher folder and name the same as “streak”
- Now, all you need to make sure is that Dell Streak is recognized in the computer and then turn Off the phone and after 5 seconds, press the power button as well as camera button at the same time to shown up a white screen and then select the Fast boot option which is located on the top right side.
- After selecting the option, you need to wait for the message “waiting for fastboot device” and wait for 10 seconds to plug the device to the computer using the USB cable and wait for fastbootmode_txt.
- Now, get into the command prompt in your compute and press start-accessories-command prompt to type the commands “c:\…….) cd\” , “c:\)cd streak”, “c:\streak)fastboot -i 0x413c flash recovery recovery.img” and press Enter key in your keybord and wait for few seconds till the Successful message pops up.
- Now, you need to type “c:\streak)fastboot -i 0x413c reboot” and ensure that phone doesn’t reboot as you need to press the Volume Up and Down and press the Power button instantly so as to turn the phone ON in the recovery mode.
- Now, select the option of “upgrade ROM from update.pkg from sdcard” option with the help of the Volume down key and press the camera button to start the process after the confirmation message displayed on the screen.
- Once you are done with the update, you need to select the option of “Go Back” and then reboot the phone to enjoy the Gingerbread 2.3.3 firmware.
Please note that it will take more than 5 minutes to boot the device as it’s the first boot after applying this firmware. Also, just in case if it takes longer time than 5 minutes then you need to remove the battery and reboot the device again.