Droid Razr M smartphone can now be installed with the unofficial Cyanogen Mod 10 firmware which ropes in the magic of Jellybean 4.1.2 firmware. So, just in case if you are still awaiting the Jellybean update from Motorola, then you might have to end up waiting for a longer period as there are still no updates on by when there will be an official firmware update. This cyanogen Mod 10 firmware comes with a host of new features and also not to forget this firmware comes with all the Jellybean 4.1.2 apps by default.
Since this is a custom ROM firmware, your Motorola Droid Razr M needs to be rooted. To check on whether your phone is rooted or not, download “Root Checker” from the PLAY Store. Just in case if your phone is not rooted you will have to root the same.
Disclaimer: It’s our kind request that, kindly follow all the instructions properly in this article or else your phone might just get bricked for which we should not be held responsible.
Quick Pre Requisites:
- All the data in your device should be backed up so as to make sure that just in case if the data gets lost or corrupted, the same can be restored with the help of below mentioned steps.
Note: Don’t backup the data with the help of PC Suite or with the ROM Manager as you may not be able to restore with these tools.
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log – Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- From the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging”, enable the USB Debugging, ensure that the USB debugging option is ticked. Battery level should not be below 35% or else there is a risk of device getting turned off in the middle of firmware update.
Once you are done with the help of above mentioned steps, you can now head over to the next step where we have summed up a detailed guide on how to apply with this firmware update.
Procedure to Update Droid Razr M with CM 10 Jellybean 4.1.2 Firmware:
- Download CM 10 Jellybean 4.1.2 Firmware Package and Google Apps from here to your computer. Once downloaded, connect your phone to the computer with the help of original USB cable and then place the zip file in your device’s sd card.
- Disconnect the device and open the “ROM Manager” app in your device to select the option of “reboot into recovery mode”. In recovery mode, select “Wipe Data / Factory Reset” and “Wipe Cache” to clear all the cache data present in your phone.
- Select “install zip from sd card” > “choose zip from sd card” > Jellybean 4.1.2 Firmware CM 10 Zip File and Google Apps Package which you have placed in your phone. Once selected, confirm the same by pressing the power button.
- It will take around 3 – 5 minutes for applying the update. Once the update is applied successfully, the screen will show the message towards the bottom of the screen as “install from sd card completed”. Now, select “go back” and “reboot system now” for rebooting the device in the normal mode.
- Please note that it may take around 3 -4 minutes for booting the device. As soon as the device is updated successfully, you will have to enter the Google Account credentials.
- To check on whether the firmware is updated successfully or not, head over to the path “Settings > About Phone > Firmware Version” where you will see the current firmware version as Jellybean 4.1.2 firmware CM 10.
Tip: If the device gets into the boot loop sequence or say gets stuck in the welcome screen, just re insert the battery and re follow the above instructions so as to again follow the above mentioned instructions. There will be some bugs in this firmware version but will be addressed in the coming days with patch updates.
Do share with us in the comments section just in case if you come across any issues in the process of this update as we will try our level best to address the same.