How to Update EPIC 4G with Cyanogen Mod 10 Jellybean 4.1 Firmware
Epic 4G smartphone receives the latest Cyanogen Mod 10 Jellybean 4.1 firmware version, all thanks to the Cyanogen Mod 10 Nightly builds which are freshly brewed. Full credits to the CMTeamEpic user of XDA developers for coming up with this release, This update though is not an Official update but comes with few bugs which are listed below,
- Headset mic is not working.
- Phone may enter deep sleep while on a wall charger (not USB).
- Occasional reboot possibility is present, but it could be days between them, if it happens at all.
Also, there is no ETA on by when there will be an official update for this device. Unfortunately there is no ETA given for the ICS or Jellybean update. This update will act as a huge bonus as Officially the Epic 4G device comes with the Éclair 2.1 update. This update also comes with the latest Google Apps Package which comes with all the latest Google Apps. Since this can only be applied on the rooted firmwares, ensure that you have rooted your device. To check on whether the device is rooted or not, you can check the same from the app “Root Checker” which can be downloaded from the Google PLAY Store.
With the help of below steps, manually create a backup of all the data. Once you have created the backup, move all the target files to the computer by connecting the original USB cable.
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log - Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
Disable / preferably uninstall all the antivirus tools in your device.Head over to the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging”, enable the USB Debugging by selecting the appropriate option in your EPIC 4G smartphone. Also ensure that the battery left in the device is 50% so as to make sure that it doesn;t get turned Off in the middle of firmware update.
Disclaimer: We should not be held responsible or liable for any damage happened to your device due to not following the instructions. It is very unlikely that there will be any damage to your device if you follow all the instructions.
Procedure to Update Epic 4G with Jellybean 4.1.1 Firmware Update:
- Download the Jellybean 4.1.1 Firmware Update Package & Google Apps Package from here to your computer. One the file is copied, disconnect the same from computer and turn Off your phone to enter the device in the recovery mode.
- The recovery mode can be entered by pressing Volume UP Key + OK button, and holding both simultaneously press the Power Button. You can also refer to the below mentioned video to know more on how to enter into the recovery mode. You can also download the “ROM Manager” app from the Google PLAY Store, flash the recovery image and select the option of “Enter into Recovery mode” for entering the device in recovery mode.
- In recovery mode, select “install zip from sd card” > “choose zip from sd card” after which select the Sony Bravia Custom ROM Zip file after which the process of update will be started.
- Once the device is updated, you will be again landing back to the recovery mode screen. In recovery mode screen, select “++++ Go Back ++++” and then choose “reboot system now” for rebooting the device in Sony Bravia Engine Powered Custom ROM. Please note that the device may take longer than expected time to boot the device and to show up the home screen as it’s the first reboot after the firmware update.
Note: Additionally, you can also apply this custom ROM firmware with the help of Clock Work mod recovery process which too is one of the simplest process to apply these custom ROMs.
Do let us know in the comments section just in case if you face any issues in the comments section as we will try our level best to sort out the same. Congratulations, you have now successfully applied the update in your Epic 4G smartphone. In the coming days we will be coming up with more such custom ROM firmwares for Epic 4G device.