Samsung Galaxy GIO S5660 smartphone gets the taste of latest ICS Android 4.0 firmware courtesy Cyanogen Mod 9 under the KANG project. Please note that Samsung has made it clear that the ICS can’t be accommodated and so it will not be coming up with the ICS update. This update which we will be checking out is not an official update released / leaked by Samsung Electronics. This all new version of ICS is the Beta 5 version which comes up with the host of fixes and stability features.
Over a period of this article, we will check out on what are the things which work, not work and also a detailed tutorial on how to apply this update along with the pre requisites which you need to follow. Please be informed that in the process of applying this update, you need to root the device and rooting voids the warranty. Since it’s a beta firmware, there will be some bugs, but as in when the time progresses, we will get to see many updates which we will cover the same on the site.
- GSM (phone/messages/GPRS/EDGE/3G)
- Wi fi
- HW acceleration (full)
- All sensors (proximity, roration etc)
- Cyanogen Mod settings (not all, it’s not fully merged by CyanogenMod team, not my fault)
- Market (now you can download all apps available for Gio with GB)
- Fixed animations (now it looks so good)
- Facebook sync
- Buttons backlight
- GMail fully works
- Browser fully works
- ICS keyboard
- Games – works as smoothly as on Gingerbread
- Deep sleep
- Wifi signal indicator
Not any as per the developer
Change Log of Beta 4 ICS CM9:
- Deep sleep working – happy battery
- Wifi indicator fixed
- Fixed BT issues
- Bluetooth headsets support
- BLN support for all devices
- Updated kernel [Macław]
- Reduced flicker, but still exists
- Added working Galaxy ICS app – you can update your CM9 directly from your device
- Of course updated CM9 sources
Disclaimer: Neither we, nor developer should be held responsible for any damage happened to your device in the process of following the instructions mentioned in this article. It’s very unlikely that there will be any issues but just in case if at all there are any issues then we are committed to help you in solving the same.
Let’s head to the next page where we will be checking out on what are the list of pre requisites you need to follow and then followed by the detailed tutorial to apply the update.
- All the data present in your phone should be backed up so as to ensure that just in case if any data is lost or corrupted, the same can be easily restored with the help of below mentioned steps.
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log – Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- Minimum charge left in the device should be at least 60% so as to ensure that device doesn’t get turned Off in the middle of firmware update.
- Disable all the antivirus suites in your computer and uninstall the same in your device as these tools generally tend to interrupt the process of firmware update.
- Irrespective of the current firmware you are ON, you need to ensure that you have rooted the same as this firmware can only be applied on the rooted firmwares.
So, assuming that you have followed all the above mentioned instructions you can now proceed to the next page where detailed instructions on how to update with the Cyanogen Mod 9 Beta 4 release is summed up.
Pages: 1 2