How to Update Galaxy GIO S5660 with Beta 8 Cyanogen Mod 9 ICS 4.0 Firmware
Build 8 ICS firmware version arrives for the Samsung Galaxy Gio S5660 smartphone and in the due course of this article we will be checking out the same. Please be informed that this is not an official version released by Samsung Electronics and also don’t have any ETA on by when there will be an Official ICS Update. Since it’s a beta firmware, there will be some bugs, but as in when the time progresses, we will get to see many updates which we will cover the same on the site. As per the developer the camera still have some issues but are minor though.
Disclaimer: Neither we, nor developer should be held responsible for any damage happened to your device in the process of following the instructions mentioned in this article. It’s very unlikely that there will be any issues but just in case if at all there are any issues then we are committed to help you in solving the same.
Change Log of Beta 8 Firmware:
- Wifi should be fully working right now
- YouTube HQ is working, first 5-10 secound of movie can be laggy (will be improved)
- Really, really more free RAM
- Again faster than ever ealier
- new KGSL back port
- new gen lock back port
- new adreno framebuffer
- new video decoder in kernel
- improved file system cache
- 800MHz is now default CPU clock
- fixed overclocking bugs
- added KSM for even better performance (enabled by deafult, you can disable it in Performance settings)
- fixed IOCTL_KGSL_TIMESTAMP_EVENT errors
- now we are using clean libgenlock
- improved KGSL page table size
- GSM (phone/messages/GPRS/EDGE/3G)
- HW acceleration (full)
- All sensors (proximity, roration etc)
- CyanogenMod settings (not all, it’s not fully merged by CyanogenMod team, not my fault)
- Market (now you can download all apps available for Gio with GB)
- Fixed animations (now it looks so good)
- Facebook sync
- Buttons backlight
- GMail fully works
- Browser fully works
- ICS keyboard
- Games – works as smoothly as on Gingerbread
- Deep sleep
- Wifi signal indicator
Essential Pre Requisites:
- All the data present in your Samsung Galaxy Gio handset should be backed up only with the help of below mentioned options. Don’t make use of KIES to back up the data as KIES won’t support the custom ROM firmwares. In the process of the firmware update, there is a possibility that the data may get lost or corrupted.
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log - Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- Minimum charge left in the device should be at least 60% so as to ensure that device doesn’t get turned Off in the middle of firmware update.
- Disable all the antivirus suites in your computer and uninstall the same in your device as these tools generally tend to interrupt the process of firmware update.
- Enable the USB Debugging in Galaxy GIO from the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging”. The USB Debugging option should be ticked as shown in the below screen capture.
- Just in case of you are on the custom ROM firmware, you need to ensure that you have disabled the Lag fixes if any installed from the recovery mode. You also need to ensure that the Dalvik Cache in your phone too is wiped off so as to ensure that just in case if any data cache is there that too is wiped off completely. Its very important for you to root your device as this will only work on the rooted phones and not on the unrooted phones.
So, assuming that you have followed all the instructions you can now proceed to the next page where we have mentioned the detailed instructions on how to apply this firmware.