Procedure to Update Galaxy S with Official Cyanogen Mod 9 Firmware:
- First up you need to Download the hardcore kernel with the Clock Work Mod recovery and the Heimdall Suite (For Windows | For Mac OS X | For Ubuntu 32-Bit 64-Bit) in your computer.
- Turn Off your phone so that it can be then entered into the download mode. Download mode can be entered by pressing Volume down Key, Center button, and holding both simultaneously press the Power Button after which a green robot will be shown indicating the Download Mode has been entered. You can also refer to the below video to know on how to enter into the download mode.
- Now, connect the phone to the computer with the USB cable and open the “Zadig.exe“ in the drivers folder which is there in the heimdall Suite.
- From the menu, select “Options > List All Devices” and then from the drop down menu, select “Samsung USB Composite Device or Gadget Serial” A prompt may appear warning that the installer is unable to verify the publisher of the driver. Ignore it and select “Install this driver anyway.”
- Now, Heimdall can be used safely in your computer. Turn Off your phone so that it can be then entered into the download mode. Download mode can be entered by pressing Volume down Key, Center button, and holding both simultaneously press the Power Button after which a green robot will be shown indicating the Download Mode has been entered. After this, connect your phone to the computer again with the help of original USB cable.
- Untar hardcore’s kernel into the Heimdall directory and then enter into the command prompt in your computer to enter the below mentioned command
You will now see that the a blue transfer bar will be appearing on the top part of the screen showing the kernel transfer. Now, the device will then be rebooted automatically.
After this there you go, you have now successfully installed the Clock Work mod recovery in your device. Now, let’s head to the next section in the next page where we will be checking out on how you can apply the cyanogen mod 9 ICS nightly build in your Samsung Galaxy S smartphone.
Procedure to Flash Cyanogen Mod Update in Galaxy S GT I9000:
- Download the latest version of ICS Cyanogen mod 9 Package from here to your computer along with the Google Apps in your computer. Up next you need to place these two files in your phone by connecting with the computer using the original USB cable.
- Now, remove the connected USB cable and turn off the device so that it can be then entered in the recovery mode.
- The Galaxy S I9000 can be entered into recovery mode by holding the Volume Up button + the Home key button (the middle button). While holding these both buttons, you need to turn ON your device.
- Now, once the device is entered in the Clockwork mod recovery, you now need to select “install zip from sd card” > “choose zip from sd card” and then choose the Cyanogen Mod 9 ICS Zip file which is placed in the phone and then followed by Google Apps Zip package.
- Once the update process is completed, the device will again land back to the recovery screen. In the recovery screen, select “++++ Go Back ++++” and then choose the option of “reboot system now” for rebooting the system. If the phone refuses to show the home screen even after 3 – 4 minutes of restart, you need to then reinsert the battery.
Tip: Due to some reasons if the update process gets failed or interrupted, then you need to apply the update again by following the steps again from the start. Don’t forget to restore the backup which you have taken in the initial steps.
Congratulations, you have now successfully applied the update of ICS Cyanogen Mod 9 Nightly firmware in your device. Do let us know in the comments section just in case if you face any issues as we will try to resolve the same at the earliest.