Galaxy S I9000

How to Update Galaxy S GT I9000 with Value Pack XWJW6 Gingerbread 2.3.6 Firmware

Value PACK LogoAfter XWJW5 Value Pack update of Gingerbread 2.3.6 for Galaxy S GT I9000, here comes an all new firmware update dubbed as XWJW6. Though there are no major differences between XWJW5 and XWJW6 but JW6 has been officially released for the users of Australia by Samsung Electronics. Very soon we will be coming up with a detailed tutorial on how you can root your device on XWJW6 firmware along with that we will also be coming up with a rooting workaround for rooting your Galaxy S I9000 on XWJW6 firmware. Applying this update will in no manner be rooting the device. Just in case if your device is already rooted and installed with the custom ROM firmware then after applying this update, the root access will be revoked and warranty can be reclaimed.

Disclaimer: We should not be held responsible for any damage happened to your device in the process of following the instructions mentioned in this article. It’s very unlikely that there will be any issues but just in case if at all there are any issues then we are committed to help you in solving the same.

In the due course, we will be checking on what are the list of pre requisites one has to follow along with a detailed guide on how to apply this firmware update in your device.

Caution: This update should only be applied on the Galaxy S GT I9000 device and should not be applied to any other device. Also, you need to ensure that the device is not a network locked device. If you apply on the network locked device, then the device may even get bricked.

Essential Pre Requisites:

• All the data in your device should be backed up with the help of below mentioned manual steps. Don’t use KIES to back up the data as since this firmware is still not yet globally released, it won’t detect your Galaxy S in KIES.

SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log –Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names

• If you are on any of the custom Rom firmwares, ensure that you have cleared all the cache and wiped the data from recovery mode. Additionally, you also need to ensure that the Lag fixes too should be disabled in your device.
  • Ensure that the KIES Mode in your Galaxy S is enabled from the path “Settings > Wireless & Network > USB Settings > Samsung KIES”. Apart from this, you also need to enable the USB Debugging Mode in your phone from the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging”
  • Uninstall or Disable all the security suites installed in your computer & Phone as these tools interrupt the firmware update process.

So assuming that you have followed all the above mentioned instructions, you can now proceed directly to the next page where we have summed up a detailed guide on how to apply this firmware update.

Pages: 1 2

105 Comments

105 Comments

1. aditya

July 23, 2013 at 9:07 pm

Hi there, trying to install it,, what happens is when ODIN finish’s it , the status says PASS with a green box but on the device 2 to 3 times says it shows FAIL and then PASS then FAIL like this onwards. In the end it gives the options like when we get it in RECOVERY MODE, I go for REBOOT, it reboots but gets stuck in a repeating circle, stuck’s up at S logo.
    I have reinstalled it 2 to 3 times
    and it even shows E:format_volume: rfs format failed on /dev/block/stl10 I don’t know what it means …..pl. help and give a immediate reply

2. sub.g

April 1, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Neel how to root the same?

April 3, 2013 at 1:38 pm

we will come up with the same

• Yousef Khan

May 25, 2013 at 12:17 pm

When will you come with root method?? is it ready now?

June 1, 2013 at 12:14 pm

you can apply the newer version of the update..

3. nogga14

November 27, 2012 at 2:34 am

Hi I’m running xwjw1 firmware I believe. Is this a later one? Is it better. Not had phone long.Please can you help me understand better!!

4. ejaz

October 14, 2012 at 12:49 pm

following ur instructions,i had mounted the downloaded file ‘JW6_JV8_JW1.tar’ on the PDA option in odin,but it shows error ‘invalid image type’.the same error pops again on clicking START option.

pls help………

5. Sujan Karki

October 12, 2012 at 8:21 am

When can I get rooting package?? It’s been a long time…

October 12, 2012 at 1:39 pm

you can root the same with XWJW6 cf root package

• L

October 24, 2012 at 4:28 pm

The ****? Who doesnt know we have to root with XWJW6 cf root package 8-}
        The question is
        Where?

6. Zain

October 12, 2012 at 1:05 am

I have upgraded this ROM but my problem still persists. My mobile cannot get signals of SIM card in my home but in some places it starts working. i came here with this hope that maybe i can find something helpful but all in vain. I am very disappointed. But i’ll appriciate that if you can solve my problem. actually i flashed a ROM from XDA site that was made by vodafone. Now it wont get any sim signals. but somewhere at some specific place it work. Please help me what can i do??????????

7. Hemant lalwani

October 10, 2012 at 4:34 pm

thanx

8. L

October 2, 2012 at 3:29 pm

When is the rooting available????????

9. karthik

September 28, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Do we loose the apps we are installed after updating to XWJW6. Cuz I’ve around 150 apps and some of them are pretty imp to me?. Does anybody know about this ? Thnx in adv…

10. Ephraim

September 21, 2012 at 4:55 am

Hi Neela
    I’m XXJW4 and not rooted.I want to root.
    How can I root?

11. adicrst

September 18, 2012 at 5:19 pm

Hi Neal,
    I have 2.3.3 on my SI900, do i have to update to 2.3.6 first using an older post (like this one: http://androidadvices.com/valuepack-update-samsung-galaxy-face-unlock-i9000-xxjvu-236/3/ ) and then apply this value pack ?

September 18, 2012 at 6:03 pm

yes you can apply the same

12. Jayant

September 16, 2012 at 7:27 pm

I was on Jelly Bean.. Wanted to go back to 2.3.6. Downloaded the package, followed the instruction. But after applying the package phone went into recovery mode. When i tried to reboot it it just get stuck on booting screen.. Please HELP!!!

13. ROB VANES

September 8, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Upgraded from XXJW4 to XWJW6 by following all the above mentioned instructions… DONE!!!
    My Galaxy S i9000 now as a new model!
    Thanks for great support!!!

14. Dom

September 2, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Thanks. I ran into trouble initially during the download mode. I seemed to take forever. I took your advice (same for the Eclair 2.1 DDJG4 Firmware Upgrade) to clear the cache by “long press the volume up key, press Menu as holding both the buttons press the power button to start” then “Wipe data/factory reset”, “Wipe Cache partition” and “reboot system now” (http://androidadvices.com/how-to-update-samsung-galaxy-s-gt-i9000-from-any-firmware-version-to-eclair-2-1-ddjg4-firmware/). Having done this, I entered the download mode again and it was successful!

15. Praveen

September 2, 2012 at 1:53 am

Hi, My korean galaxy s shows PDA I9000 on complaince label and in settings menu. What does it mean actually. Is it an international version or still korean . Pl. help me if i can apply this update.
    Also odin shows some error and doesn’t turn yellow in downloading mode. This is rooted.
    Thanks

September 3, 2012 at 3:11 pm

enable the usb debugging and it will be fixed

16. rp

September 1, 2012 at 8:38 am

After update, when I connect my phone to pc via usb it does not get detected by the pc. Samsung kies says my phone is not connected and tethering does not work but the phone is charging. Since phone is not discovered on my pc, I cannot revert back to value pack 5. please get back to me asap!

September 1, 2012 at 5:23 pm

which value pack 5, wanted the exact fw details!

• rp

September 2, 2012 at 10:32 am

I mean I need to go back to an older value pack which enables tethering.

• rp

September 2, 2012 at 11:30 am

XWJVZ worked fine and tethering wasn’t an issue. How do I revert back to that update? Please assist!

• rp

September 3, 2012 at 11:51 am

XWJVZ had no tethering problems. I would like to go back to that. But the only concern is how. My pc does not detect my phone when plugged in, odin doesnt turn yellow. My phone is only charging when I connect to pc. So pls assist asap!

September 3, 2012 at 12:12 pm

just install the kies

• rp

September 4, 2012 at 11:07 am

Kies does not detect my phone either. It keeps showing that no phone is connected. My phone only charges when I connect to pc.

• Rp

September 7, 2012 at 9:44 am

Kies also shows that no phone is connected.

17. Feh

August 27, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Hi ive updated as your instructions. Am having trouble discovering my phone on my pc when I plug in the usb cable. The phone is charging, however that is as far as it gets. Tethering option is not showing as well. Pls assist asap!!

18. Iqbal Qazi

August 26, 2012 at 9:05 pm

Hi..

This is Iqbal.. I have a problem with my Samsung Galaxy GT-i9000, when i wanna call someone and press the “call” button the screen turn black and nothing appear. Although, the person i call, do receive the call but i can’t see anything on my screen. Can you help me plz..???

19. Usman

August 26, 2012 at 5:06 pm

I was having my GPS signals problem in XWJW5 2.3.6 Firmware so I upgaded to XWJW6 Gingerbread 2.3.6 but same problem presists.

Does any one having any solution?

• Remco

November 18, 2012 at 4:44 pm

I have the same problem. I hope you find a resolution which I can also use.

November 19, 2012 at 11:26 am

what is the issue you are facing?

20. feh

August 23, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Hi

I followed your instructions and however faced some problems with switching on my phone, there was basically a sign of the phone and computer I guess my update stalled and it showed as fail in odin. Somehow I managed to switch on my phone a while later and I checked the About Phone section, it showed:
    basebandversion: I9000XXJVT
    kernel version: 2.6.35.7-I9000XWJVZ-CL762604 stratosk@semaphore
    build number: amestris Rom/ODEX/XWJW1@1/3/2012

I have no idea if I have successfully managed to update with Value Pack XWJW6 Gingerbread 2.3.6 Firmware, so please do help me!

21. Garfin

August 23, 2012 at 9:05 am

Any news on root for XWJW6 ?

August 24, 2012 at 4:13 pm

we will be coming out with the same very soon

• garfin

August 30, 2012 at 1:10 pm

CF-Root v4.4 seems to happily work on this XWJW6 ROM

September 1, 2012 at 5:29 pm

yes you can applyt eh update, there wont be any issues

22. Kabir Ahmed

August 22, 2012 at 8:45 am

Root information for JW5 & JW6 didn’t appeared as promised? is there any reasons?

August 22, 2012 at 5:56 pm

we will be coming out with the same very soon. the kernel files as of now are corrupt, it should be there soon

23. yogesh

August 19, 2012 at 11:50 am

updated and rooted

August 19, 2012 at 10:09 pm

thanks for your feedback, let us know for more help

• yogesh

August 20, 2012 at 11:42 am

My SGS was earlier running value pack XXJW4/XXJW4/OSAJW4 rooted with CF-Root-XX_OXA_JW4-v4.4-CWM3RFS.tar.
        I dont have basic knowledge of all these things. Just had a noobish thought and I gave it a try after taking a Nandroid Back-up and Back up with Titanium and MyBackup Root:
        Updated with XWJW6 available in this tutorial, but something wrong happened and bootloop occurred.
        Then I installed original 3files DDJV9 DDJV5 ODDJV9.
        Updated with Value Pack I9000XWJW6_I9000XSAJV8_XSA.zip
        Then out of 3file package of XXJW4, I Installed PHONE_XXJW4.tar.md5 & CSC_OXAJW4.tar.md5 only.
        Rooted with CF-Root-XX_OXA_JW4-v4.4-CWM3RFS.tar.
        Then rolled back the applications Backed-up by Titanium Back-up Pro.
        Now my config is : PDA- I9000XWJW6, Phone – I9000XXJW4, CSC- I9000OXAJW4,
        Build Info: Fri Apr 13 14:42:08 KST 2012

Sir, can I update with XWJW8 in the same way? Is there any major difference between the two?

August 20, 2012 at 3:55 pm

yes you can apply the update, yes there are major differences

• yogesh

August 20, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Thanks Pradeep, Updated with xwjw8 and rooted also.

August 20, 2012 at 10:01 pm

thanks for your feedback, let us know for any additional help

24. yogesh

August 19, 2012 at 11:39 am

Updated successfully and Rooted also

25. Yogesh Sharma

August 15, 2012 at 9:23 pm

I have very very little knowledge about ROMs rooting etc. With the help of tutorials at androidadvices, I have rooted my SGS now running value pack XXJW4/XXJW4/OSAJW4 and it is rooted with CF-Root-XX_OXA_JW4-v4.4-CWM3RFS.tar
    I was just thinking if the following is possible:
    Install XWJW8/XWJW1/VAUJV9 (released for Australia and New Zealand only) using ODIN
    Then using ODIN, install only PHONE_XXJW4.tar.md5 & CSC_OXAJW4.tar.md5
    so as to get ony PDA updated to XXJW8 ?
    In case the above is possible, can this config now be rooted with CF-Root-XX_OXA_JW4-v4.4-CWM3RFS.tar
    Pl excuse me for this noobish thought.

26. Yogesh Sharma

August 15, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Will this work in India?

27. jeeva

August 13, 2012 at 1:12 pm

hey pradeep i am in desparate need of your help as of now. i am using
    samsung galaxy s GT I9000 i updated it to 4.0.4 couple of months ago i
    found many difficulties like battery drained of soon cant transfer or
    copy files phone gets hanged often hence i thought of coming back to
    older version but when i was about to update while connecting for odin i
    found that the computer shows a message that “device not recogonised ” i
    tried reinsatalling kies and other softwares but the same result hence
    i need you to suggest the offical firmware pdate for my GT I9000 and
    the way to get it without using odin like downloading a software with
    the help of my memory cord then since i have internal memory i can copy
    it to ,,,,, so plz help and soon cos i am leaving town tonight plz help me out soon i am counting on you neil

28. jeeva

August 13, 2012 at 1:11 pm

hey pradeep i am in desparate need of your help as of now. i am using samsung galaxy s GT I9000 i updated it to 4.0.4 couple of months ago i found many difficulties like battery drained of soon cant transfer or copy files phone gets hanged often hence i thought of coming back to older version but when i was about to update while connecting for odin i found that the computer shows a message that “device not recogonised ” i tried reinsatalling kies and other softwares but the same result hence i need you to suggest the offical firmware pdate for my GT I9000 and the way to get it without using odin like downloading a software with the help of my memory cord then since i have internal memory i can copy it to ,,,,, so plz help amd quick
    and soon cos i am leaving town tonight

29. jeeva

August 13, 2012 at 1:01 pm

hey neal i rally need your help i,m in the worst possible situation i updated my samsung galaxy GT I9000 to android 4.0.4 i found a lot of difficulties including battery draining up soon phoe getting stuck cant copy or transfer files so i need you to tell me which is the official version for my phone so thst i would be on he safe side if i had to claim my warranty and to come back to normal version my computer doesnt recognise my device it says un recognised device if have use odin … so suggest the officail firmware and to get it without using odin plzs and quick i have to leave to my place where i study tonight there are no faccilities for using computer there so plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz help me out soon man i am dying here

30. outkastjm

August 13, 2012 at 9:10 am

Pradeep! need your help i upgraded from XWJW4 directly to
    XWJW6, not my phone phone is unable to make calls, Says Mobile Network is not available

31. Shaun

July 27, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Hi

TWLauncher keeps crashing and I have to keep rebooting the phone.

32. Shaun

July 27, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Hi

TWLauncher keeps crashing and I have to keep rebooting the phone.

33. Bilalchapra

July 17, 2012 at 10:52 am

After update my phone goes on restarting.

34. Guest

July 15, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Thanks for update and detailed instruction. I am not very techi person so could not understand how to open in recovery mode but little googling helped. Any way thanks. I was able to update successfully.

35. Guest

July 12, 2012 at 10:52 pm

Please post some pictures with it

36. mujahid

July 4, 2012 at 11:09 pm

hi good day to you
    wen i conect my samsung galaxy s with laptop it showes that you need to install driver for that window,,i am using window 7. after extracting when i open 1.Tar file in new folder different kind of files open plz guide me i want to update my phone.

37. Abdul Ghani

July 1, 2012 at 4:03 pm

This is most stable value pack for Galaxy S. Thanks for sharing.
    Awaiting for rooting instruction.

38. veli-matti juutila

June 30, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Hi,
    Waiting for rooting instructions

39. Francisc0202

June 29, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Does it support romanian language?

40. Giri

June 28, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Hi,
    Please tell me when I can expect root package for this update.
    Thanks,
    Giri

41. Sujan Karki

June 28, 2012 at 2:46 pm

when will the rooting of this firmware will arrive?

42. Chamchoun

June 26, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Hallo guys, How is it going?
    does this firmware support Arabic and so on ,
    liebe grusse

43. Tayyab

June 26, 2012 at 1:50 am

After updating to it, My call sensor is not working which turns on and off the screen during call. please reply?

44. Arunsankar

June 22, 2012 at 12:49 am

Does it support tamil?

45. azmansya

June 20, 2012 at 5:58 am

i unable to download using hotfile..can u put in media fire..tq

46. RAMSHID ALI

June 19, 2012 at 6:05 pm

Can v root it with xxjw5….. 😛

June 20, 2012 at 12:04 pm

NO, NOT AS OF NOW

• Jeet Dholakia

June 24, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Yes you can, I have rooted it. Just use some other kernel like Semaphore and you will able to root it. Semaphore 2.7.4 supports XWJW5.

47. Jeet Dholakia

June 19, 2012 at 12:08 pm

What are the changes from XWJW5?

48. Bawan

June 19, 2012 at 12:04 pm

why my pc/kies not detecting Galaxy S GT I9000?

49. Bafana

June 19, 2012 at 11:10 am

I’m in South Africa, can I apply this update?

50. kianglian

June 18, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Do you know the schedule of release for Hong Kong value pack?

51. ivan.grdic1@zg.t-com.hr

June 18, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Can I aplly over unroot 2.3.4 XXJVQ?

52. Yogesh Sharma

June 18, 2012 at 6:30 am

Can we apply over xxjw4?
    Any difference between the two?

53. SD

June 18, 2012 at 12:44 am

I am on XXJW4 which has been quite stable. What advantage would I have with this update? I am in Australia. Thanks

54. dido

June 17, 2012 at 6:49 pm

What´s new on this firmware? battery better?

55. HHH

June 17, 2012 at 4:29 pm

AFTER FLASHING MY PHONE FROM ICS TO GINGERBREAD I HAVE BOOTLOOP

HOW TO RE BRICK IT

June 17, 2012 at 5:51 pm

update with XWJW5 Firmware, it will be fixed

• outkastjm

August 13, 2012 at 8:40 am

I did the upgrade from
        XWJW4 directly to
        XWJW6 Firmware. now my phone says “Mobile Network Not available..PLEASE HELP!

• Roots

June 18, 2012 at 6:58 am

You need to flash firmware again by use of Odin software..repartition has to be checked..
      More importantly try using the 3 files flash via Odin..

56. nouninou

June 17, 2012 at 3:38 pm

can we apply if we are on froyo or ics

June 17, 2012 at 5:51 pm

yes you can apply on the FROYO OR ICS UPDATE

57. Usman

June 17, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Is this pack Supports Arabic Language?

June 17, 2012 at 5:50 pm

no it doesn’t support arabic

• sritimes

June 23, 2012 at 9:28 am

Hi neela nice tutorial. Can u confirm is this ROM renders TELUGU fonts clearly? I just in of this.

June 23, 2012 at 10:53 am

yes you can apply the update!

• sritimes

June 23, 2012 at 11:49 am

my device currently on REMICS 1.2. When i odin this package it gave some errors… media … like this. and again flashed by checking on “repartion” but not working. Please help me.

• bilal

August 11, 2012 at 1:25 pm

can i update this firmware in france means paris ok