Unfortunately, it now seems that Samsung is in no mood to update your phone with the latest version of Jellybean or even to ICS Android 4.0 due to technical reasons, but not to worry as for all those devices which are still on the Gingerbread 2.3.4 can now be updated with the Gingerbread 2.3.6 firmware version. Lets check out on how you can update the device manually. We will try our level best to come out with a work around wherein you will be able to install the latest Jellybean 4.2 in coming days to come.
Note: This is the OFFICIAL Firmware update released by Samsung, just in case if you didn’t get the update, the same can be applied manually by following the below mentioned tutorial.
Quick Pre Requisites:
- Create a backup of all the data with the help of below mentioned steps and not with the KIES as your device may not detect with the KIES after applying this update as till now this update might not have arrived for your Country. Don’t backup the data with ROM Manager as it may even brick the device.
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log –Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- Enable the USB Debugging from the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging” and also you will have to ensure that the minimum battery life should be 30% so as to ensure that the phone doesn’t get turned Off in the middle of update. Disable / uninstall all the security suites installed in your phone.
Disclaimer: Follow all the instructions mentioned in this article as if there is any damage caused due to not following instructions then we shall not be held liable or responsible. Just in case if you face any issues then we will try our level best to address the same.
So let’s proceed to the next step where we have mentioned the detailed guide on how to apply this firmware update in your device.
Procedure to Update Galaxy S PLUS I9001 with Official Value Pack XXKQP Firmware Update:
- Download the XXKQP Firmware package and Odin from here to your computer. Once downloaded, connect your computer, extract the same and open Odin in your computer.
- Turn Off your Galaxy S PLUS GT I9001 so that it can be entered in the Download Mode.
- Download mode in Galaxy S PLUS GT I9001 can be entered by pressing Volume down Key, Center button, and holding both simultaneously press the Power Button after which a green robot will be shown indicating the Download Mode has been entered.
- Once the device is entered in the Download Mode, connect your phone to the computer with the help of original USB cable and in Odin you will see that the ID : COM section will turn Yellow indicating that all the drivers are installed successfully.
- Now, click on “PDA” to select the tar file which you got upon extraction to click on “Start”. Once clicked on Start, it will take around 3 -4 minutes for applying the update. As soon as the update is applied successfully, the device will be rebooted.
- Please note that it may take more than 4 -5 minutes to apply the update and reboot the device sometimes due to some reasons, so ensure that you don’t press the power button or the USB cable in the process. Till you see the Language selection / Country Selector option, don’t disconnect the device from computer.
Note: Just in a rare case if the device doesn’t boot up or show the home screen then remove the battery and reinsert the same to boot the device again in the normal mode.
- You can check the current firmware version from the path “Settings > About Phone” where the current firmware version will be XXKQP Gingerbread 2.3.6 Firmware.
Do let us know in the comments section just in case if you face any issues as we will try to address the same as soon as possible. Very soon we will be coming up with a separate article which will help you root the device as well.