Samsung may have discontinued the model Galaxy R, but we haven’t discontinued the support for your device a in the due course of this article we will be checking out on how you can install the latest and most popular custom ROM firmware which is dubbed as Neo ROM. Please note that this is not an official firmware released by Samsung Electronics but is a custom ROM firmware developed by third party developers. The best part of this custom Rom is that it comes with various enhancements along with the best visual themes and also other add on apps which surely enhance the phone experience.
Disclaimer: Please note that we should not be held responsible in any manner in whole or in parts if any damage is done to your device caused by updating the firmware which is a very unlikely event if you follow the instructions as mentioned in the article including the pre requisites and the procedure to update the phone.
Change Log of Neo ROM v2.0:
- swipe to remove notifications mod
- ICS settings.apk
- ICS Dialer
- boot animation and sound
- Touchwiz MOD
- many more ICS elements
Over a period of this article we will not just be checking out about on how this custom Rom firmware looks like in the form of screen captures but also we will be checking on the pre requisites you need to follow along with the detailed guide on how to apply this firmware.
Caution: This Custom Rom should be only applied to the devices which have the model number as I9103 and should not be applied to the network locked devices.
Screen Captures of Neo ROM:
- First and foremost you need to ensure that you have rooted your device. With the help of “Root Checker” app from Google PLAY Store, you can easily check whether the device is rooted or not.
- Up next, back up all the user level data present in your device manually with the help of below mentioned steps so as to make sure that if at all the data gets wiped off completely, the same can be restored with the help of below mentioned steps.
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log -Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- Minimum charge left in your device should be at least 60% and also enable the USB Debugging in your device from the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging”. The USB Debugging option should be ticked. Disable or remove all the security suites installed in your Galaxy R as these tools generally tend to interrupt the process of firmware update.
- One should be on the ZSLE5 2.3.6 stock firmware before you proceed to the procedure.
So assuming that you have followed all the instructions mentioned above, you can now proceed to the next step where we have summed up a detailed guide on how to apply this firmware update.
Procedure to Update Samsung Galaxy R I9103 with Neo ROM v2.0 Custom ROM Firmware:
- Download Neo ROM v2.0 Custom ROM Firmware from here to your computer, once downloaded you need to connect your device with the computer and place the same in your device.
- Turn Off your Samsung Galaxy R I9103 so that it can be entered in the Recovery mode. The recovery mode can be entered by “Pressing Volume Up key+ Menu Key + Power ON the device”. Once you enter into the recovery mode, you need to select “Wipe data/factory reset” & “Wipe Cache partition” so that this will clear the cache in your device.
- In recovery mode, select “install zip from sd card” > “choose zip from sd card” after which you need to select the Neo ROM v2.0 Custom ROM Firmware. Once selected, you now need to wait for the process to get over. It will take around 5 – 6 minutes for applying this update.
- Once its over, the device will be landing on the recovery mode. In recovery mode, select “reboot system now” for rebooting the device.
Note: If your Galaxy R refuses to boot or gets in the boot loop mode, you need to re insert the battery and turn ON the device normally. You can also re apply the update by following the above mentioned steps.
Do let us know in the comments section just in case if you face any issues as we will try our level best to sort out the same. Congratulations you have now successfully updated the device with the latest version of Neo ROM v2.0 Custom ROM Firmware in your Galaxy R.