LG Launcher lovers can now be enjoyed along with the Galaxy S3 theme right on your Samsung Galaxy S II smartphone with the help of a custom ROM firmware which is dubbed as Root Box. This Root Box custom ROM firmware ropes in the latest ICS Android 4.0.4 firmware version. Over a period of this article we will be checking out on what are the various features this custom ROM firmware comes along with the detailed pre requisites and tutorial to guide you on how to apply this firmware. This firmware can only be applied on the Galaxy S II smartphone which is GT I9100 unlocked model. There are many firmwares apart from this, but the best part of this firmware is that it’s highly stable.
Disclaimer: We should not be held responsible for any damage happened to your device in the process of following the instructions mentioned in this article. It is very unlikely that there will be any issues to the device as we are committed to help you out with the same.
Rooting Information: To install this custom ROM firmware update in your phone, you need to root the device. The root access can be revoked by applying the Official or stock firmware in your device.
Features of Root Box ICS 4.0.4 Firmware:
- AOKP Based ICS 4.0.4 IMM76I (Built from Source – Github)
- Fluxi ICS Kernel, Siyah ICS Kernel, CM ICS Kernel
- Unread Notification Count for Missed Calls and Messaging (LG Home Launcher)
- Multi Waves Lockscreen (Multi Waves Style + 2-8 Target Apps)
- Nova Launcher
- Apex Launcher
- LG UI Launcher (240DPI +SGS3 Theme)
- TouchWiz UX Launcher (180DPI and 240DPI)
- ES File Explorer
- Solid Explorer
- Google Play Music
- Sony Walkman Music Player
- Apollo Music Player
- Sense 4 Task Manager
- Beats Audio
- DSP Manager
- Lockscreen Vibration Option
- Default or Dark Theme Google Apps
Highlight Features of Root Box Custom ROM Firmware:
- Merged remaining updates from B39 (Including weather refresh bug)
- Redesigned Aroma Installer – Easier to select options
- Added CM9 Kernel – Compiled from source
- Added Back Apollo Music Player
- Added Google Play Music
- Added Beats Audio
- Added TouchWiz UX Launcher
- Added Toggle Option
- Added Background Option
- Added Lockscreen Vibration Option
- Added 3G tweaks in build.prop
- Upgraded Fluxi Kernel ICS XX.02-beta6
- Upgraded xxTweaker0.3.9_rc1
- Removed LG Memo App
- Fixed Battery Drain Issue
Let’s get started with the detailed list of pre requisites and then followed by which we will be checking out on how to apply this custom ROM firmware in your Galaxy S II.
- In the process of installing custom ROM firmware, since the data and cache needs to be wiped, you need to ensure that you have backed up all the data present in your device manually with the help of below instructions. Don’t use KIES to back up the data as it won’t detect the S II in the custom ROM firmware.
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log -Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- From the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging”, enable the USB Debugging Mode. USB Debugging option should be ticked. Ensure that the minimum battery left is 50% plus so as to ensure that the phone doesn’t get turned Off in the middle of firmware update.
- Download “Root Checker” app from the Google PLAY Store and check whether the device is rooted or not. Also, disable / uninstall all the security suites installed in your device as it may interrupt the process of firmware update.
- Ensure that you have Updated your phone with Latest XWLPD firmware and rooted S2 on XWLPD firmware by following the mentioned instructions in the respective links.
So assuming that you have followed all the above mentioned instructions, you can now proceed to the next page where we have summed up a detailed tutorial to install this update.