Galaxy Nexus I9250 Android device may be one of the legacy Nexus devices which will not be receiving the Lollipop 5.0 update officially. All thanks to the AOSP builds which makes possible to port the same in your Nexus device. So let’s check out on how you can install the Lollipop 5.0.1 Android OS in your Galaxy Nexus I9250 device. This new version of Android 5.0 completely revolutionizes the device and also this update will almost give you a feeling that you have got a new device as full interface will be changed post this update.
Quick Pre Requisites:
- Download and install PC drivers for your Galaxy Nexus device.
- Make sure that your device is left with the minimum of 60% battery life.
Backup all the data with the help of below mentioned steps manually.
SMS – Download SMS Backup & Restore app and create the backup. Once done, transfer the backup file to your computer,
Call Log – Download Call log Backup & Restore app and create the backup. Once done, transfer the backup file to your computer,
Local Files – Transfer all the data like photos, downloads, music files, videos etc. to your computer.
- Navigate to Settings> Developer Options> check the USB Debugging option to enable the USB Debugging in your phone.
- For applying this update, you need to make sure that your device is rooted. Download “Root Checker” to check on whether your device is rooted or not.
Assuming that you have followed all the above mentioned instructions, let’s proceed to the next step where we have summed up the detailed guide which will help you update the device.
Procedure to Update Galaxy Nexus I9250 with Lollipop 5.0.1 Android OS:
- Download Lollipop 5.0.1 Android OS and Google Apps Package from here to your computer. Once downloaded, you need to connect your phone to the computer with the help of original USB cable and place both the zip file in your device.
- Turn off your phone so that it can be entered in the boot loader mode or in the fastboot mode which can be done by pressing and holding the Volume Up, Volume Down and then press the Power buttons together. Tap the Volume Down button till the Start option at the top changes to the Recovery mode and then you need to reboot the device in the recovery mode.
- Once your device enters in the recovery mode, you now need to perform a data full wipe by choosing the wipe data or factory reset. With the help of Volume keys, you need to navigate between the options and the Power button for selecting the option in the recovery mode.
- Select “Wipe Cache Partition” and wait for the process to complete and then also select “Wipe Cache Partition” and “Wipe Dalvik Cache” for preventing any booting issues.
- Then in the main recovery menu, select “choose zip from sd card” to select the firmware file and then the Google Apps package.
- Once the firmware is installed successfully, select “+++++ Go Back ++++++” from the recovery menu and select “reboot system now” in the recovery menu for rebooting the device.
- It will take around 3 – 4 minutes for booting the device and once done, navigate to the path “Settings > About Phone” for checking the firmware version. The firmware version will be mentioned as Lollipop 5.0.1.
Note: If your Galaxy Nexus gets into the boot loop mode or doesn’t boot, you need to enter the device in the recovery mode to clear all the data.
Do let us know in the comments section if you come across any issues in the process of firmware update as we will be more than happy to help you.