Galaxy S I9000

How to Update Galaxy S GT I9000 with ICS 4.0.4 Brightside Evolution Custom ROM Firmware

Galaxy S Gold LogoSamsung Galaxy S GT I9000 users have one more custom ROM firmware to flash with so as to get the ICS like experience as in the due course of this article we will be checking out on how one can easily update with the latest ICS 4.0.4 firmware which is developed by Team Inferno and Cyanogen mod team. Over a period of time Cyanogen Mod 9 has provided awesome custom ROM firmwares which rope in the awesome ICS 4.0 experience. Please note that this is the custom ROM firmware and not the stock firmware released by Samsung Electronics. This firmware is dubbed as Brightside evolution.

Disclaimer: Neither AndroidAdvices, nor developer should be held responsible for any damage happened to your device in the process of following the instructions mentioned in this article. It’s very unlikely that there will be any issues but just in case if at all there are any issues then we are committed to help you in solving the same.

This update comes with many visual treats as it also boasts the tablet UI mode which was earlier spotted in the Parandroid Custom ROM firmware series. So, let’s proceed and check out on what are the list of pre requisites you need to follow before you apply this custom ROM firmware along with the detailed guide in the next page. Please be informed that this update can only be applied to the Galaxy S GT I9000 devices. Since this is still in building stages, there may be some minor bugs. Just in case if you find any, do let us know in the comments section or to the developer directly.

Features, Change Log & Images of Brightside evolution Custom ROM:

• Two column Settings
  • Zip aligned
  • De-odexed

Change Log:

• ROM Name changed
  • Added in custom wallpaper
  • Added Inferno Browser.apk (Thanks mxbrowser)
  • Added Titanium Backup.apk
  • Added ES File Explorer.apk
  • Other minor changes

Images of Bright side evolution Custom ROM:

Brightside Evolution

Pre Requisites:

Note: Before proceeding to apply this update, you need to ensure that your Galaxy S GT I9000 is on the XXJW4 Rooted firmware. Just in case if you haven’t updated or on the rooted the firmware, then you will have to update and root the same with the help of below mentioned steps. (You can also update this custom ROM firmware on any of the rooted firmware.)

Procedure to Update Galaxy S GT I9000 with XXJW4 Firmware

Procedure to Root Galaxy S GT I9000 on XXJW4 Firmware

• All the data present in your phone should be backed up so as to ensure that all the data present in your device is safeguarded. We recommend you to back up the data manually using the below mentioned steps as the data will have to be wiped so as to get rid of force close errors.

SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log – Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names

• Minimum charge left in the device should be at least 60% so as to ensure that device doesn’t get turned Off in the middle of firmware update.
  • Disable all the security suites installed in your computer and uninstall all antivirus tools in your computer so as to ensure that the firmware update is not interrupted in the middle of the process.
  • Enable the USB Debugging in your Galaxy S from the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging”. The USB Debugging option should be ticked.

USB Debugging

So let’s proceed to the next page where we have summed up a detailed tutorial on how to apply this update.

Pages: 1 2

69 Comments

69 Comments

1. Abn2744

July 20, 2012 at 12:39 am

signature verification failed comes on scree in recovery mode, plz tell wat to do?

2. David Low

July 3, 2012 at 2:31 pm

I may have successfully flashed Brightside, but google app failed. Now stuck in a boot loop recovery mode. Tried removing battery as suggested, still doesn’t work. Please help?

3. Rr

June 26, 2012 at 8:03 pm

For the ones complaining on the font and icon size, this is called pixel density. You can change it by using free applications like bigfont or Font Changer, just play with the pixel density until it looks the way you want it to. Although, being it that the rom was designed to emulate a tablet, it will certainly look weird when setting a higher pixel density.

4. Peter Tosh

June 19, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Is there a way to make icons and text bigger? they so small on my phone thanks

5. Jorge

June 19, 2012 at 6:53 pm

This rom is useless, icons and fonts are so small theres no way to make em bigger, try another

6. Kabir

June 18, 2012 at 8:39 am

Can it be applied over JW5?

7. rafleonard

June 14, 2012 at 4:31 am

pradeepneela please help me!! when i go into recovery mode and selected choose zip from sim card it says cant mount sd card.. somebody help

8. rafleonard

June 13, 2012 at 8:50 pm

when i go into recovery mode and install zip from sd card, and choose zip from sd card, it says cant mount sd card!! help me

• Pradeep Neela

June 15, 2012 at 3:02 pm

unmount the sd and then mount back the same

9. Saquib Najmus

June 13, 2012 at 5:14 pm

a good piece of work  like it very much particularly the two column settings except the auto rotate any fixes

10. Niveskara123

June 7, 2012 at 5:42 am

its just flash the cyanogen mod nothing else

11. Niveskara123

June 7, 2012 at 5:42 am

its just flash the cyanogen mod nothing else

12. Niveskaran

June 7, 2012 at 5:38 am

after installation complete  its sows cyanogen(mod) just flash all the times

13. Deepak Chadha

June 6, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Installed the CS 4.0.4 Brightside Evolution Custom ROM Firmware, it eats battery – though my battery was 90% when using XXJW4 after whole day usage, and with the same usage using brightside custom ROB i got the battery levels at 46% after whole day of usage,

14. Deepak Chadha

June 6, 2012 at 12:11 am

was successful in instalation as instructed. only issue is the screen becomes too small, difficult to read.
    please advice how to go back to xxjw4

• Deepak Chadha

June 6, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Sir I installed XXJVU from your web portal ans was able to recover my SGS I9000. Hats off for such a wonderful site.
      After that i installed XXJW4 and then rooted it again after understanding the instructions, and my mobile is perfectly fine.
      I think the isse was that since my mobile was not restarting there was no way to select USB Mode and to switch on USB Debugging.

GREAT EXPERIENCE AND ALL THE BEST TO YOU PEOPLE

is it supporting arabic

• Pradeep Neela

August 21, 2012 at 6:09 pm

yes it supports arabic

18. nirmal

May 30, 2012 at 8:12 am

Wil it work on galaxy s i9003???

19. Roots

May 30, 2012 at 5:49 am

Can we flash this ROM on my current firmware is ics.. I could do full wipe & flash..
    I don’t have to flash back to gingerbread do I..??

20. Boris Terzić

May 30, 2012 at 3:45 am

Google apps such as Maps,Gmail,G+…. don’t exist and can’t be found on google play. Also Skype, Viber, Facebook…. even if you try to install them from my apps>all, it says:”The device isn’t compatible with this program”.
    Please fix this or help me fix this cause I love looks and responsiveness of this ROM

• Pradeep Neela

May 30, 2012 at 11:11 am

install google apps which is mentioned in the procedure

21. jai

May 29, 2012 at 11:42 pm

cannot update the ics package. its shows signature verification failed.
    and installation aborted

what could be the reason

22. Boris Terzić

May 29, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Google apps, such as Maps and Gmail, don’t exist.
    Skype, Viber, Facebook,Shazam or Twitter cannot be instaled – “Your device isn’t compatibile with this version”
    Other bugs are visual,such as cropped shortcuts that are in top,right,left or bottom row/column
    If you can help me with any of these issues,i will be really thankful.

23. Ido

May 29, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Don’t like the tablet UI on such a small screen, not to mention half the apps wont work with this ROM since they aren’t compatible with tabs. The only thing I liked about it is the new camera interface.

24. kudos

May 29, 2012 at 8:43 pm

what are the google apps for and the link goes to a screen full off loads of zips….which do i need>>>?

• Pradeep Neela

May 30, 2012 at 11:58 am

you can apply the zip files one after other as mentioned in the procedure!

25. HItesh S

May 29, 2012 at 6:53 pm

there are so many files for Google Apps Package, please, let me know the name of zip file

26. Anwaar

May 29, 2012 at 5:50 pm

What Gapps package can you use?Can you flash from another 4.0.4 ICS rom with Base XXJW4?

• Pradeep Neela

May 30, 2012 at 12:01 pm

GAPPS IS NOTHING BUT THE Google apps! its a must if you wanted all the google apps including the play store!

27. Saquib Najmus

May 29, 2012 at 5:27 pm

tried the new custom rom auto rotate screen not workin other setting working fine for a evolution rom

28. Rodrigo V.

May 29, 2012 at 5:10 pm

I’m using it and it looks great! Battery is OK and it’s beautiful! But everything is too small, and a lot of apps and games do not appear on Androif Market, like Facebook, Instagram and Minecraft.
    In case i want to update to JW5, what I must do? Just directly update? Or I should do something before?
    Thanks!

• Niraj

May 31, 2012 at 2:53 am

Hi guys,
      Agree very much with Rodrigo, battery is good, and overall experience is great, speed is faster than before but the UI is too small, I changed Fonts and Icon size to Largest, but still they appear tiny. Memory is also increased to 370M.

Pradeep,
      Please suggest some method to restore the visual settings to how it was before but still on the new firmware. Can we use some other Launcher to fix it? I tried installing Go Launcher as well but it does not fix the fonts sizes either.

Thanks.

• Niraj

May 31, 2012 at 2:53 am

Hi guys,

Pradeep,

Thanks.

29. himal thapa

May 29, 2012 at 3:32 pm

i can’t find google play how do i get it

• Pradeep Neela

May 30, 2012 at 12:03 pm

what are you trying to find in Google PLAY?

30. eamnomadic

May 29, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Hi
    which google apps to download pse? ics-20120429? ics-facelock?
    nomadic

31. eamnomadic

May 29, 2012 at 1:57 pm

HI
    is this version rooted?
    nomadic

• Pradeep Neela

May 30, 2012 at 1:47 pm

on the rooted device, you can easily update this!

32. Vishal

May 29, 2012 at 1:30 pm

I am on XXjw4 & also have a gamerz rom, can i update this & how??

• Pradeep Neela

May 30, 2012 at 1:48 pm

yes, you can directly apply from the gamerz rom!

33. Yogbal

May 29, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Hi Neal,
    In Gapps link, which one should be download.. there are so many gapps are there in the download page.

34. prakash

May 29, 2012 at 11:21 am

hi ,

BRIGHTSIDE_Evolution-galaxysmtd-sig …… link is not working

Prakash

• Pradeep Neela

May 30, 2012 at 1:50 pm

you can download from the alternate link as developer has removed the download link!

35. prakash

May 29, 2012 at 10:29 am

Hi ,

Which google apps need to downloadi can see big list..

regards
    Prakash

36. diskette

May 29, 2012 at 10:21 am

just work for I9000?

37. Boris

May 29, 2012 at 8:25 am

which Google apps package should i download?

38. meran

May 29, 2012 at 1:54 am

does it support arabic

• Pradeep Neela

May 30, 2012 at 2:03 pm

there is no update on whether it supports arabic or not!

39. bilal

May 28, 2012 at 10:51 pm

Xwjw5 is good or this one?