How to Update Galaxy S2 & Galaxy S3 with AOKP 3.0 Firmware Version
Are you having the Samsung Galaxy S2 GT I9100 or Samsung Galaxy S3 GT I9300 smartphone? Then here comes an all new AOKP Build 3 version of firmware and in the due course of this article we will be checking out on how you can apply this update. This update comes along with additional apps and features which we have summed up below. The modem too has been renewed in this firmware so as to give the best performance in Wi Fi.
Over a period of this article we will be checking out on how you can apply this update along with which we will also be checking out on what are the pre requisites you need to go through. This firmware should only be
- SMS QuickReply
- Stopwatch & Countdown in the Clock app (CM)
- Expert Calculator functions (Graph, Matrices, etc.) (CM)
- IME Switcher & Vib/Ring toggle as NavRing target
For applying this update, you will have to ensure that your phone is rooted. To check on whether your phone is rooted or not, you will have to download the “Root Checker” app from the Google PLAY Store and check with the same. If your device is not rooted, with the help of below mentioned steps you can very well root your device.
For SAMSUNG Galaxy S2 GT I9100:
For SAMSUNG Galaxy S3 GT I9300:
Once the device is rooted, you will have to download the “ROM Manager” app too from the Google PLAY Store.
Disclaimer: Follow all the instructions mentioned in this article as if there is any damage caused due to not following instructions then we shall not be held liable or responsible. Just in case if you face any issues then we will try our level best to address the same.
Now, once you have rooted your device you will now need to create a backup of all the data present in your phone with the help of below mentioned steps manually. Don’t make use of KIES to back up the data as it may even brick the device.
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log - Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
Ensure that minimum battery left in your phone is > 30% so as to make sure that device doesn’t get turned Off in the middle of firmware update.
So assuming that you are done with the above mentioned instructions, you can now head over to the next step where we have summed up a detailed guide on how to apply this update.
Procedure to Update AOKP 3 Firmware Update in Galaxy S2 and in Galaxy S3 Device:
- Download the below mentioned corresponding firmware from here to your computer and Google Apps package. Once downloaded, you will have to connect the phone to the computer and place these two files in your device. Kindly select the appropriate file for your Galaxy Smartphone or else it may even brick the phone.
- Once you have placed the file in your phone, turn off the device so that it can be entered in the recovery mode.
- Recovery mode in your Galaxy S2 or S3 device can be entered by holding the Volume Up button + the Home key button (the middle button). In recovery mode, select Clear cache and wipe all the data present in your phone so as to make sure that there are no force close errors after applying this update.
- In recovery mode, select “install zip from sd card” > “choose zip from sd card” and then choose the placed AOKP Firmware Package. Once the file selection is over, the firmware will be applied within 10 minutes, you can see the progress of firmware update with the help of a progress bar. As soon as you see the home screen, select “Go Back” to select the option of “reboot system now” for rebooting the device in the normal mode.
Note: Just in a rare case if your Samsung Galaxy S III refuses to turn ON or say if it gets stuck on the Samsung Galaxy Logo then you need to long press the power button to turn off the same or re insert the battery to start the process from the start.
So there you go, you have now successfully updated your device with this AOKP 3 firmware. Do share with us in the comments section just in case if you face any issues as we will try to address the same.