Samsung Galaxy S II GT-I9100G can now be updated with the latest version of Kit Kat 4.4 Android firmware version which comes with the hell lot of benefits. Unfortunately, it’s very unlikely that Samsung will be updating the device officially, all thanks to the OmniROM team which ropes in the latest KitKat 4.4 experience without any compromise. So, let’s check out on what are the quick pre requisites you need to go through before you head over to the procedure where we have detailed the installation instructions. Also, make sure that this procedure should only be applied to the Galaxy S2 GT I9100G model and not for the I9100 variant.
Note: Please note that this is the custom ROM firmware and not the Stock Firmware released by Samsung Electronics.
Quick Pre Requisites:
- Make sure that your device is left with the minimum battery life of 40% so as to make sure that your phone doesn’t end up getting turned off in the middle of firmware update.
- From the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging”, enable the USB Debugging in your device.
- Check on whether your phone is rooted or not with the help of “Root Checker” app. Just in case if your device is not rooted, then you will have to root the device with the help of below mentioned link.
- If your device is already rooted, then you can skip the above steps and backup all your data with the help of below mentioned steps;
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log – Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
Disclaimer: We should not be held responsible / liable in any manner for the damage happened to your Galaxy S2 due to not following instructions.
Let’s head to the next step where we have mentioned the detailed guide which will help you update the device.
Procedure to Update Galaxy S2 GT I9100G with the KitKat 4.4 Android Firmware:
- Download the Kit Kat 4.4 for Galaxy S2 GT I9100G and Google Apps Package from here to your computer. Once downloaded, connect your phone to the computer with the help of original USB cable and place the two zip files in your device.
- Disconnect the device so that it can be entered in the Recovery Mode. Manually Galaxy S2 can be entered in the recovery mode by pressing Volume Up Key, Centre button, and holding both simultaneously press the Power Button after which you will get to see a green robot indicating that the device has entered in the recovery mode.
- Select “install zip from SD Card” to choose the KitKat 4.4Firmware Package and then the Google Apps Package for installing the same. Please note that it might take around 4 – 5 minutes for applying the update. Once updated, select “Go BACK” and choose the option of “Reboot System Now” for rebooting the device.
Note: Just in a rare case if the device doesn’t boot up or show the home screen then remove the battery and reinsert the same to boot the device again in the normal mode.
You can check the firmware update from the path “Settings > About Phone > Firmware Version” where the firmware update version will be mentioned. Do let us know in the comments section just in case if you face any issues in the process of firmware update as we will try our level best to answer all your queries / issues at the earliest.