Samsung Galaxy S3 GT I9300 Android smartphone can now be updated with the latest Jellybean 4.2.2 Android OS. To update your phone with the Galaxy S4 Looking device, all you need to do is to install a custom ROM firmware which we will be discussing in the due course of this article. The best part of this firmware is that after updating, you will not be even able to figure out on whether it’s Galaxy S3 or Galaxy S4 in terms of UI and Design. From features to apps of Galaxy S4, almost everything is ported to Galaxy S3 smartphone with the help of this custom ROM firmware.
So, after the quick pre requisites mentioned below, let’s head over to the next step where we have jotted down the detailed procedure which will help you update.
Note: This custom ROM is only compatible with XXUFME3 and XXUFME7 versions of Stock firmwares.
Quick Pre Requisites:
- All the data in your Galaxy S3 i9300 smartphone should be backed up with the help of below mentioned manual steps. Make sure that you are not backing the data with the help of KIES as it may not detect the device in the custom ROM firmwares.
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log - Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- Enable the USB Debugging Mode in your computer from the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging”. Also, the minimum battery life should be a minimum of 40% or else there is a risk of device getting turned Off in the middle of firmware update.
- Since this is the custom ROM firmware, you will need to makes sure that your phone is rooted. To check on whether your phone is rooted or not, you will have to download the “Root Checker” app from the Google PLAY Store. With the below mentioned two steps, you need to root the device.
Disclaimer: We should not be held responsible or liable in any manner for any damage caused to the device which is very unlikely if you follow the instructions carefully mentioned in this article.
Let’s head to the next step where we have mentioned a detailed guide which will help you update the device with the latest Jellybean 4.2.2 Galaxy S4 Looking custom ROM firmware.
Procedure to Update Galaxy S3 with Galaxy S4 Firmware:
- Download GALAXY S4 Firmware Zip Package from here to your computer. Once downloaded, connect your device to the computer and place the zip file in your device’s internal memory. Once placed, disconnect the device so that it can be entered in the recovery mode.
- Recovery Mode in Galaxy S3 can be entered by Volume Up button + the Home key button (the middle button). While holding these both buttons, you need to switch ON your device. Alternatively, you can also enter the device in recovery mode with the help of ROM Manager app.
- In recovery mode, Clear the Cache and Wipe the data with the help of appropriate steps. Once done, select “install zip from sd card” and then choose the zip file of Galaxy S4 Android which you have placed in your phone.
- Once the firmware is updated, select “Go Back” and select “reboot system now”. The whole process of firmware update will take around 10-12 minutes and once the firmware is updated successfully, you can check the same from the path “Settings > About Phone” where the current firmware version will be mentioned.
Note: If at all your Galaxy S3 gets in the boot loop sequence then you need to turn off the device and then reapply the update from the start. To turn off you can reinsert the battery or say you can long press the power button.
So there you go, you have now successfully applied the update of Galaxy S4 in your Galaxy S3 smartphone. Do let us know in the comments section just in case if you face any issues in the process of firmware update.