Android Open Kang Project (AOKP) kicks Off for Samsung Galaxy S III smartphone with a style and this time it comes with added features which we will be discussing in the due course of the article along with the detailed guide on how to apply this update. This update comes at a time when most of the users of Galaxy S III wanted to upgrade their devices with the latest Jellybean 4.1.1 firmware update. As of now there is still no Official timeline on by when there will be the update of Jellybean officially for Galaxy S III but all thanks to the leaks and other developers who are working harder day in day out to make Jellybean 4.1.1 update possible.
Full credits to the recognized XDA developer Faryaab for coming up with this firmware update. Please note that this is a Preview and not a final release, there may be some bugs but will be fixed in the coming days. Please note that this is not an Official firmware update released by Samsung Electronics and is a custom ROM firmware.
Disclaimer: Follow all the instructions carefully mentioned in this article, we should not be held responsible in any manner if your Samsung Galaxy S3 GT I9300 doesn’t boot up or gets bricked due to not following the instructions.
Before proceeding you need to ensure that you have backed up all the data present in your device so as to ensure that just in case if the data gets corrupted / lost the same can be restored with the help of below mentioned steps.
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log - Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
Uninstall all the security suites installed in the device as these tools tend to interrupt the process of firmware update. From the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging”, you need to enable the USB Debugging Mode option. Also, you need to ensure that the minimum battery charge is not less than 50% so as to ensure that it doesn’t get turned Off in the middle of firmware update.
Full Features of AOKP Galaxy S III Update:
- Android 4.0.3 — ITL41F
- Unsecure boot.img (stock AOSP kernel)
- Super user & Busy box preinstalled
- 180 Degree rotation
- Built in performance/init.d configuration (Thanks Kejar & company)
- CM Launcher/ Power Menu
- CM Brightness slider
- Custom color for anything in RC
- Clock Color/Location: Right, Center, Disable
- Battery Icon/ Color Picker: Circle Mod, Bar, Text Only, Icon Only, Icon+Text or None
- Battery Bar in Status Bar or Nav Bar, Bar Thickness, Charging animation
- Nav Bar Transparency
- Nav Bar Button Reorder: Back-Home-Search-Menu
- Nav Bar Color Picker
- Nav Bar Button Glow Duration: Off, Fast, Slow
- Nav Bar: Long press to Search button
- Nav Bar Hide on Lock screen
- Toggles in Pull Down Menu: Auto rotate, Bluetooth, GPS, Wi-Fi, Airplane mode, Vibrate, Silent, Sync, Data, 4G, Tethering, Torch, Brightness
- LCD Density (Careful with this)
- Menu Button location: Right, Left, both, Remove
- Menu Button Visability: Always show, Always show Invisible Icons
- Lock screen Style: Quad, Octo, Stock
- Lock screen SMS customizable shortcut
- Lock screen Horizontal Option
- Performance Menu: (Use With Caution) Max/ Min CPU, Scaling Governor
- Unlock Screen with Legacy Menu Icon
- Volume Key to Wake Screen
- Volume Key to Skip Tracks
- Long-press back button to kill process
- Disable CRT off animation
- LED pulse settings (time on/off)
- ICS ringtones/notification sounds
- Customize carrier text to whatever.
- Power Menu options: Boot to recovery/ Boot loader, Reboot, Screenshot
- Facebook contact sync integration (must wipe to get this)
- Disable Boot animation
- Keyboard: Volume keys act as a cursor while typing — disable in keyboard options
- Long press home for recent apps (thanks brucekey)
So assuming that you have followed all the instructions mentioned above, you can now proceed to the next page where we have summed up a detailed guide on how to apply this update.