Samsung Galaxy S3 users who have rooted their devices and installed with the latest version of Cyanogen Mod 9 firmware can now easily update with the latest AOKP version of firmware which was earlier released for some smartphones like Galaxy S, Galaxy S2 etc. The AOKP builds comes with a very high feature list which we have mentioned in the due course of this article. Please note that this is not an Official firmware and is a custom ROM firmware developed by AOKP team. There may be some issues as this is an initial build, but over a period of time there will be many more builds which will come with feature enhancements and bug fixes.
Disclaimer: We should not be held liable for any damage caused in the process of updating Samsung Galaxy S III GT I9300. It is very unlikely that your device will be damaged if you follow all the instructions to the point which are mentioned in procedure.
Rooting Information: Applying this update will root your device and the only way one can revoke the root access is by re applying the device with the latest ICS Android 4.0.4 firmware version.
Features of AOKP based Custom ROM Firmware:
- Android 4.0.3 — ITL41F
- Unsecure boot.img (stock AOSP kernel)
- Super user & Busy box preinstalled
- De odexed
- 180 Degree rotation
- Built in performance/init.d configuration (Thanks Kejar & company)
- CM Launcher/ Power Menu
- CM Brightness slider
- Custom color for anything in RC
- Clock Color/Location: Right, Center, Disable
- Battery Icon/ Color Picker: Circle Mod, Bar, Text Only, Icon Only, Icon + Text or None
- Battery Bar in Status Bar or Nav Bar, Bar Thickness, Charging animation
- Nav Bar Transparency
- Nav Bar Button Reorder: Back-Home-Search-Menu
- Nav Bar Color Picker
- Nav Bar Button Glow Duration: Off, Fast, Slow
- Nav Bar: Long press to Search button
- Nav Bar Hide on Lock screen
- Toggles in Pull Down Menu: Auto rotate, Bluetooth, GPS, Wi-Fi, Airplane mode, Vibrate, Silent, Sync, Data, 4G, Tethering, Torch, Brightness
- LCD Density (Careful with this)
- Menu Button location: Right, Left, both, Remove
- Menu Button Visibility: Always show, Always show Invisible Icons
- Lock screen Style: Quad, Octo, Stock
- Lock screen SMS customizable shortcut
- Lock screen Horizontal Option
- Performance Menu: (Use With Caution) Max/ Min CPU, Scaling Governor
- Unlock Screen with Legacy Menu Icon
- Volume Key to Wake Screen
- Volume Key to Skip Tracks
- Long-press back button to kill process
- Disable CRT off animation
- LED pulse settings (time on/off)
- ICS ringtones/notification sounds
- Customize carrier text to whatever.
- Power Menu options: Boot to recovery/ Boot loader, Reboot, Screenshot
- Facebook contact sync integration (must wipe to get this)
- Disable Boot animation
- Keyboard: Volume keys act as a cursor while typing — disable in keyboard options
- Long press home for recent apps (thanks bruce key)
Please note that you need to back up all the data present in your device with the help of below instructions so as to ensure that just in case if the data gets lost or corrupted, the same can be restored with the help of below mentioned steps. Don’t use KIES to back up the same as it won’t detect the custom ROM firmware.
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log –Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
Charge in your Galaxy S III should be a minimum of 70% to ensure that the phone doesn’t get turned Off in the middle of firmware update. Enable the Samsung KIES Mode, which can be enabled from the Settings option and also you need to enable the USB Debugging Mode too from the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging”.
If the device is not rooted, you need to root the same and install the Clock Work Mod Recovery Image in your Galaxy S III. You can check whether your device is rooted or not with the app “Root Checker”.
So assuming that you have followed all the instructions, you now need to proceed to the next page where we have summed up a detailed guide on how to apply this update.
Pages: 1 2