Samsung Galaxy S3 Android smartphone can now be updated with Lollipop 5.0.2 Android OS which comes with all the goodness of Lollipop at its best. Unfortunately there is no clarity on by when Samsung will be coming out with the Lollipop 5.0 updates, while all thanks to the custom ROM makers who are constantly improving the 5.0 experience on Galaxy S3 devices. So let’s check out on what are the list of quick pre requisites so that after following that you can slip into the detailed guide which will help you apply this custom ROM firmware update.
This new custom ROM firmware ropes in the goodness of some Galaxy S5 features and also it comes with the best experience of Galaxy Note 4 which comes with the improved dialer and call recording options as well long with the promise of improved performance clubbed with the new interface and experience of Android 5.0.
Note: This is custom ROM firmware and not the official firmware released by Samsung. For applying this update, you need to make sure that the device is rooted.
Quick Pre Requisites:
- All the data in your device should be backed up with the help of below mentioned steps only and not with the help of KIES PC Suite as it may not help you restore the data with the help of below steps.
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log – Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- Battery life in your device should be a minimum of 40% so as to make sure that your device doesn’t get turned Off in the middle of firmware update process. Head over to the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging” in your Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 so as to enable the USB Debugging Mode.
- Make sure that your device is rooted. To check on whether your device is rooted or not, you need to check the same with the help of “Root Checker” app which can be downloaded from the Google PLAY Store.
Disclaimer: We should not be held responsible in any manner for any damage happened to your Galaxy S3 I9300 due to not following the instructions mentioned in the article.
Assuming that you are done with the above mentioned step, lets proceed on to check on how you can update your device with this custom ROM firmware.
Procedure to update Galaxy S3 with the Lollipop 5.0.2 Firmware:
- Download the Lollipop 5.0.2 Android OS from here to your computer with Google Apps Package. Once downloaded, you need to then connect your device to the computer with the help of original USB cable.
- Place the downloaded zip file in your device and disconnect the device so that it can be turned Off to enter the device in the recovery mode.
- Press and hold Home + Power + Volume Up buttons to enter the device in the Recovery Mode. If your Galaxy S3 i9300 enters in the Normal mode, then you need to re try the process of entering the device in the Recovery Mode.
- In recovery mode, select Clear Data” and “Wipe Cache” to clear the data and wipe the cache present in your phone.
- Once the data is cleared, select the option of “install zip from sd card” and then select the firmware zip file which you have placed in the device. It will take around 4 -5 minutes to apply both the zip files in your device.
- Once done, select “go back” and choose the option of “reboot in normal mode” for rebooting the device normally. Please note that it may sometime take more than 4 -5 minutes for rebooting the device in the normal mode.
Note: If at all your Galaxy S3 gets in the boot loop sequence then you need to turn off the device and then reapply the update from the start. To turn off you can reinsert the battery or say you can long press the power button.
So there you go, you have now successfully updated the latest Android 5.0.2 OS in your Galaxy S3. Do let us know in the comments section just in case if you face any issues in the middle of firmware update.