How to Update Galaxy S3 Mini with KitKat 4.4.2 Android Firmware – Guide
Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini Android phone users too can now update with the latest KitKat 4.4.2 Android OS. Though, Samsung isn’t considering rolling out the KitKAT OS anytime soon, but all thanks to the custom ROM firmware makers for rolling out this update. Cyanogen Mod 11 brings this delightful OS to Galaxy S3 Mini. Over a period of time many bug fixes have been done to this latest update and has been now rolled out. So, let’s check out on what are the changes which are done to the firmware and then to the quick pre requisites and procedure with which you can apply this update.
- 2D/3D hardware acceleration
- GPS and A-GPS
- Glonass navigation
- Compass and sensors
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0 with LE and A2DP
- All native tethering
- CPU sleep mode
- CyanogenMod 11 functions
- YouTube HQ
- Wi-Fi direct
- Kernel version 3.0.101
- Camera and video playback
- Offline charging
- No 1 GHz bug
Quick Pre Requisites:
- All the data in your Galaxy S3 Mini should be backed up with the help of below mentioned steps. Don’t use KIES to back up the data.
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log – Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- Head over to the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging” in your Galaxy S3 Mini so as to enable the USB Debugging Mode.
- Make sure that minimum charge left in your phone is 50% or else there is a risk of device getting turned off in the middle of firmware update increases which may even brick your Galaxy S3 Mini.
- Since this is the custom ROM firmware, you will need to makes sure that your phone is rooted. To check on whether your phone is rooted or not, you will have to download the “Root Checker” app from the Google PLAY Store.
Disclaimer: Follow all the instructions mentioned in this article as if there is any damage caused due to not following instructions then we shall not be held liable or responsible. Just in case if you face any issues then we will try our level best to address the same.
Once you are done with all the above mentioned steps, you can now proceed to the next page where we have mentioned a detailed guide which will help you update the device.
Procedure to Update Galaxy S3 Mini with KitKat 4.4.2 Android Firmware:
- Download the KitKat 4.4.2 Android OS Package and Google Apps Package from here to your computer and once downloaded place the same in your device.
- Recovery Mode in Galaxy S3 Mini can be entered by Volume Up button + the Home key button (the middle button). While holding these both buttons, you need to switch ON your device. Alternatively, you can also enter the device in recovery mode with the help of ROM Manager app.
- In recovery mode, Clear the Cache and Wipe the data with the help of appropriate steps. Once done, select “install zip from sd card” and then choose the zip file of Jellybean 4.4.2 Android which you have placed in your phone and then the Google Apps Package.
- Once the firmware is updated, select “Go Back” and select “reboot system now”. The whole process of firmware update will take around 10-12 minutes. Once the firmware is updated successfully, you can check the same from the path “Settings > About Phone” where the current firmware version will be mentioned.
Note: If at all your Galaxy S3 Mini gets in the boot loop sequence then you need to turn off the device and then reapply the update from the start. To turn off you can reinsert the battery or say you can long press the power button.
In coming days, we will very soon come out with more number of custom ROM firmwares for your device. So there you go, you have now successfully updated your device with the latest Jellybean 4.4.2 firmware. Do let us know in the comments section just in case if you face any issues in the process of updating the firmware.