Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini Android smartphone can now be updated with the latest version of Lollipop 5.0 Android firmware. Unfortunately, Samsung won’t be rolling out the latest Lollipop 5.0 version of firmware to most of the legacy devices and KitKat 4.4 seems to be the final update for most of the devices. Lollipop Android 5.0 comes with the new interface and when it comes to AOSP, then whole UI looks sweeter than ever. So let’s check out how you can install this latest version of Lollipop in your Galaxy S3 mini by following the simple guide which we will be checking out in the due course of this article.
Quick Pre Requisites:
- Create a backup of all the data with the help of below mentioned steps and not manually. Don’t use KIES or any automated tools for backing up the data.
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log – Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- Make sure that your device has 50% battery life and enable USB Debugging Mode which can be enabled from the Settings.
- All the drivers in your computer should be installed in your computer. Also, make sure that the ADB is installed in your computer.
- Download “Root Checker” app from Google PLAY Store to check on whether the device is rooted or not as this is the custom ROM firmware, you need to have the rooted device.
Disclaimer: We should not be held responsible / liable for any issues caused while upgrading the firmware.
Let’s head over to the next step where we have summed up the detailed list of procedure which will help you root the device.
Procedure to Update Galaxy S3 Mini with Lollipop 5.0 Android OS:
- Download Lolilipop Android 5.0 Android Package from here to your computer along with the Google Apps Package.
- Once downloaded, connect your phone to the computer. Place the two downloaded zip files in your device and disconnect the device from computer.
- Turn off your device so that it can be entered in the Recovery Mode. Galaxy S3 mini can be entered into the recovery mode by holding the Volume Up button + the Home key button (the middle button). While holding these both buttons, you need to switch ON your device.
- Alternatively, you can also enter the recovery mode with the help of “ROM Manager” app. In recovery mode, select corresponding options to clear and wipe the data present in your phone.
- In recovery mode, select “install zip from sd card” and then choose the zip file of Firmware Zip Package which you have placed in your phone. Now, once the firmware is updated, select “Go Back” and select “reboot system now”.
- Please note that it might take 3 -4 minutes for applying the update. Once the update is applied and once you see the home screen in your device, you can disconnect the device from computer.
- To check on whether the firmware is applied successfully or not, head over to the path “Settings > About Phone” where the firmware version will be mentioned as AOSP Lollipop 5.0 firmware.
Note: If at all your Galaxy S3 mini smartphone gets in the boot loop mode, then you need to turn off the device and then reapply the update from the start. To turn off you can reinsert the battery or say you can long press the power button.
Do let us know in the comments section just in case if you face any issues in the process of firmware update. You have now successfully updated the latest version of Lollipop 5.0 Android firmware in your Samsung Galaxy S3 mini Android smartphone.