Samsung Galaxy S4 GT I9500 Android smartphone users can now make use of KitKat 4.4.2 custom ROM firmware. Though very soon Samsung will be rolling out the Kitkat update of 4.4 in coming days, till then you can make use of the custom ROM firmwares which more than desired KitKat experience. All thanks to the customizations in Android platform which allow this to happen. So before we proceed on to check on what is the procedure with which you can apply this update, you need to follow the below mentioned quick pre requisites.
Quick Pre Requisites:
- Not with KIES, but with the help of below mentioned steps you need to create the backup of all the data present in your phone so as to make sure that just in case if the data gets lost or corrupted, the same can be restored easily.
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log – Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- Head over to the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging” in your Samsung Galaxy S4 so as to enable the USB Debugging Mode.
- Battery charge left in your Galaxy S4 Android smartphone should be not less than 40% so as to make sure that the process of firmware doesn’t get affected in the middle.
- Before proceeding, make sure that your device is rooted. To check on whether your phone is rooted or not, download the “Root Checker” app from the Google PLAY Store. Just in case if your phone is not rooted, root the same with the help of below mentioned steps.
Disclaimer: We should not be held responsible in any manner for any damage happened to your Galaxy S4 due to not following the instructions mentioned in the article.
Once you have rooted your device successfully, proceed to the next step where we have summed up the detailed guide which will help you update the device with the latest firmware of Kitkat 4.4 firmware.
Procedure to Update Galaxy S4 with KitKat 4.4.2 Android Firmware:
- Download KitKat 4.4.2 Android firmware package from here to your computer along with the Google Apps Package.
- Once downloaded, connect your phone to the computer. Place the 2 downloaded zip files in your device and disconnect the device from computer.
- Turn off your device so that it can be entered in the Recovery Mode. Galaxy S4 can be entered into the recovery mode by holding the Volume Up button + the Home key button (the middle button). While holding these both buttons, you need to switch ON your device.
- Alternatively, you can also enter the recovery mode with the help of “ROM Manager” app. In recovery mode, select corresponding options to clear and wipe the data present in your phone.
- In recovery mode, select “install zip from sd card” and then choose the zip file of Firmware Zip Package which you have placed in your phone. Now, once the firmware is updated, select “Go Back” and select “reboot system now”.
- Please note that it might take 3 -4 minutes for applying the update. Once the update is applied and once you see the home screen in your device, you can disconnect the device from computer.
- To check on whether the firmware is applied successfully or not, head over to the path “Settings > About Phone” where the firmware version will be mentioned as KitKat 4.4.2 firmware.
Note: If at all your Galaxy S4 smartphone gets in the boot loop mode, then you need to turn off the device and then reapply the update from the start. To turn off you can reinsert the battery or say you can long press the power button.
Do let us know in the comments section just in case if you face any issues in the process of firmware update. You have now successfully updated the latest version of KitKat 4.4.2 Android firmware in your Samsung Galaxy S4 Android smartphone.