Samsung Galaxy S5 Android smartphone can now be updated with the latest version of Kitkat which is dubbed as Galaxy S5 to XXU1ANE2. Please note that this firmware update comes with the battery optimizations and RAM consumption tweaks. This firmware is specifically for the Asian regions and for 3G variants as many users were reporting some heating issues. Samsung will soon be pushing this update via OTA, but you can apply this update manually as well. So after checking out on what are the list of pre requisite instructions, we will be checking out on how you can update the firmware.
Note: This is the official firmware update released by Samsung and not the custom ROM firmware. Applying this firmware won’t root the device or
Quick Pre Requisites:
- All the data in your Galaxy S5 Android phone should be backed up with the help of below mentioned steps and not automatically with any other tools.
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log – Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- Head over to the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging” in your Galaxy S5 so as to enable the USB Debugging Mode. Battery charge left in your device needs to be a minimum of 80% or else device might get turn off in the middle of firmware update.
- This firmware should only be applied to the devices which are factory unlocked. Also, make sure that you are applying this firmware in the laptops/ computers which have full USB read/ write access.
Disclaimer: We should not be held responsible in any manner for any damage happened to your Galaxy S5.
So let’s head over to the next step where we have summed up the detailed guide which will help you update the device on the latest firmware.
Procedure to Update Galaxy S5 with Kitkat 4.4.2 Android OS:
- Download KitKat 4.4.2 Android Firmware Package and Odin from here to your computer. Once downloaded, open Odin in your computer and turn Off your device so that it can be entered in the Download Mode.
- Press and hold Home + Power + Volume down buttons to enter the device in the Download Mode. If your Galaxy S5 enters in the Normal mode, then you need to re try the process of entering the device in the Download Mode.
- Click on “AP” tab in the Odin to select the tar file which you got after extracting the firmware package to click on “Start” in Odin.
- Once you click on “Start”, you will now need to wait for the whole process of firmware gets finished. The whole process of firmware update will take around 3 -4 minutes and once done, the phone will be rebooted automatically.
Note: If at all your Galaxy S5 smartphone gets in the boot loop mode, then you need to turn off the device and then reapply the update from the start. To turn off you can reinsert the battery or say you can long press the power button.
- Once the device restarted, you now need to head over to the path “Settings > About Phone” where the device firmware update will be mentioned as Kitkat 4.4.2 Android OS.
Do let us know in the comments section just in case if you face any issues in the process of firmware update as we will be more than happy to help you out with the same.