While other smartphones are getting the latest Jellybean 4.2 firmwares, why your Samsung Galaxy Y S5360 device should stay out of the race. Though as of now there are no stable builds available, custom ROM makers are working for the same. So, in the meanwhile till a stable Jellybean 4.2 for Galaxy Y S5360 smartphone arrives, you can enjoy the goodness of ICS looking firmware which is dubbed as USSR V8 for your device. With features like Google Now, new interface as that of ICS, more free space, more free RAM, faster processing speed capabilities who would not want to update with this firmware?
So, to get started, let’s check out on what are the pre requisites you need to follow before actually jumping on to the detailed instructions to apply this firmware update. To let you know about on how this custom ROM firmware looks like, we have also mentioned the screen captures of this custom ROM.
Quick Pre Requisites:
- In the process of updating, data loss might just occur. So, it’s very important for you to manual backup all the data present in your phone with the help of below mentioned steps so as to make sure that just in case if the data gets lost or corrupted, the same can be restored with the help of below mentioned steps.
Note: Don’t backup the data with the help of ROM Manager or KIES.
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log - Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- Now, since this is the custom ROM firmware, make sure that your device is rooted. To check on whether your phone is rooted or not, download “Root Checker” app from the PLAY Store and check on whether the device is rooted or not. If your phone is not roted, with the help of below step you can root your Galaxy Y S5360.
- From the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging”, enable the USB Debugging, ensure that the USB debugging option is ticked.
- Also, all antivirus tools in your computer should be turned Off as these tools may interrupt the process of firmware update. USB Read / Write should be there and you should have admin privileges in your computer. Battery level should not be below 35% or else there is a risk of device getting turned off in the middle of firmware update.
Disclaimer: It’s our kind request that, kindly follow all the instructions properly in this article or else your phone might just get bricked for which we should not be held responsible.
Let’s proceed to next step where we have mentioned detailed guide on how to update your Galaxy Y S5360 with this ICS styled firmware.
Guide to Update Galaxy Y S5360 with ICS Looking Custom ROM Firmware:
- Download USSR V8 Firmware package from here to your computer. Once downloaded, connect your device to the computer with the help of original USB cable and then place the zip file in your device.
- Once placed, disconnect the phone and turn off your phone so that it can be entered in the recovery mode. Alternatively, you can also enter your Galaxy Y into recovery mode with the help of ROM Manager app which can be downloaded from Google PLAY Store.
- In recovery mode, select “Wipe data/factory reset” & “Wipe Cache partition”. If the device starts normally, then you will need to re try the process of entering the device in the recovery mode.
- Recovery mode can in Galaxy Y can be entered by pressing Volume UP Key + OK button, and holding both simultaneously press the Power Button. Now, in recovery mode, select “Wipe data/factory reset” & “Wipe Cache partition” so that all the cache data will be cleared.
- Now, select “install zip from sd card” and choose the USSR V8 Firmware package zip which you have placed in your phone. It will take around 3 -4 minutes for applying the update.
- Once the firmware is updated successfully, you will get to see the message “install from sd card complete” and then select “go back” with the help of volume rocker keys and select “reboot system now” for rebooting the device ion the normal mode.
Tip: If your Galaxy Y S5360 doesn’t power up or say it gets into the boot loop mode, you need to re insert the battery and then re try the process of firmware update by following the above steps.
- To check on whether your device has updated with this firmware or not, head over to “Settings > About Phone” then you will get to see the current firmware version as USSR V8 2.3.6 Firmware.
Do let us know in the comments section just in case if you face any issues as we will try our level best to sort out the same.