How to Update Galaxy SL I9003 with S3 Styled REMICS v1.7 ICS Custom ROM Firmware
What if Samsung won’t be coming out with the Jellybean styled firmware, in the due course of this article we will be checking out on how you can install the latest REMICS custom ROM firmware which looks similar to that of a Jellybean laden phone. Over a period of this article we will be checking out on how to apply this firmware update in your device. Please note that this is not an Official firmware update released by Samsung and is a custom ROM firmware developed by the recognized XDA developer chinmay_7d.
Update (16/10/2012): An all new version of Remics UX ROM for SL I9003 has arrived which is dubbed as v1.7. This version fixes all the bugs pertaining to Camera, Bluetooth pairing and other force close issues in your device.
This update is only for the devices which have the I9003 device and not for any other devices. You can check the model number from the path “Settings > About Phone” where the model number will be mentioned. Once you apply this update, the device will be rooted and will void the warranty, to restore the lost warranty you need to apply the DDKP3 update with the below mentioned link.
Disclaimer: Follow all the instructions mentioned in this article as if there is any damage caused due to not following instructions then we shall not be held liable or responsible. Just in case if you face any issues then we will try our level best to address the same.
For applying this update you will have to root the device, to root the device all you need to do is to just follow the below mentioned two instructions,
Once you have rooted the device, download the “Root Checker” app from the Google PLAY Store and check whether the device is rooted or not, if its not rooted then you will have to root the same again. Also, additionally, you will have to download the Super User application from the Google PLAY Store and update with the latest binary.
Since this is the custom ROM firmware update, its highly recommended that you backup all the data present in your phone so that just in case if the data gets corrupted or wiped off, the same can be restored with the help of below mentioned steps. Don’t use KIES to backup the data as it won’t detect the device in the custom ROM firmware.
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log – Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
From the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging”, enable USB Debugging Mode in your Galaxy SL I9003. Ensure that the minimum battery life left in you SL I9003 is not less than 40% or else it has a risk of device getting turned off. Also, ensure that all the antivirus suites are uninstalled successfully as these tools generally tend to interrupt the process of firmware update.
Features of Remics Custom ROM Firmware
- Based on Android 4.1.1 JellyBean
- build.prop tweaks
- Samsung Touchwiz!
- All the cool the Samsung stuff that you guys like! (Memo, Samsung keyboard & more!)
- New Bootanimation
- Great Samsung Theme
- Solid Explorer added
- About 200MB of size
- init.d tweaks
- S3 like UI
- S3 sounds & wallpaper
Now, assuming that you have followed all the above mentioned instructions, you can now head over to the next page where we have summed up a detailed guide on how to apply this firmware update.
Procedure to Update Galaxy SL I9003 with remics ICS Custom ROM Firmware:
- Download the Remics Custom ROM Firmware Package from here to your computer. Once downloaded, connect your phone to the computer with the help of original USB cable and then place the zip file in your device. Disconnect the device and turn off the phone so that it can be entered in recovery mode. The recovery mode can be entered by pressing the Volume Down Key + OK button, and holding both simultaneously press the Power Button.
- In the recovery mode, you need to select “install zip from sd card” > “choose zip from sd card” and then choose the Remics Custom ROM Firmware Package which is placed in the phone. It will take around 3 – 4 minutes for applying the update. Also, you will see that the device might just stay on the S Logo for more than 3 -4 minutes.
- Once the update process is completed, the device will again land back to the recovery screen. In the recovery screen, select “++++ Go Back ++++” and then choose the option of “reboot system now” for rebooting the system. If in any case if you come across the force close errors then all you need to do is to just enter the device in the recovery mode and wipe all the cache data as well as wipe all the data present in your device.
Tip: Just in case if due to some reasons if the update process gets failed or interrupted, then you need to apply the update again by following the steps again from the start. Don’t forget to restore the backup which you have taken in the initial steps.
So there you go, you have now successfully installed the latest firmware update of Remics in your device. Do share with us in the comments section just in case if you face any issues as we will try our level best to sort out the same.