HTC One S, one of the most loved smartphones of One Series now receives the love of Sony Bravia engine as it comes bundled in an all new custom ROM firmware which is known as “Onyx”. Over a period of this article we will be checking out on how to apply with this firmware. Please be informed that this firmware is not an Official firmware update released by HTC and also for applying this, you need to ensure that your HTC is installed with custom recovery image and is a rooted device. We will also be checking out on what are the features of this custom ROM firmware.
Disclaimer: Neither AndroidAdvices, nor developer should be held responsible for any damage happened to your device in the process of following the instructions mentioned in this article. It’s very unlikely that there will be any issues but just in case if at all there are any issues then we are committed to help you in solving the same.
Rooting Information: In the process of applying this Custom ROM Firmware, you need to root the device and once you root the device the warranty will be void. The only way with which you can revoke the root access is by re applying the stock firmware which you are on currently. We will try our level best to come up with an article which will help you to revert back to the factory or stock firmware so that you can reclaim the lost warranty.
Features of Onyx Custom ROM for HTC One S:
- Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich
- Sense 4.0
- Fully zipaligned
- Stock kernel
- Optimized for fluid performance and usability
- Remaped buttons (Long press Home -> Recent apps, Recent apps -> Menu)
- Disabled onscreen menu
- Enabled unlock carousel effect
- Enabled cubic transitions effect
- Enabled landscape mode Rosie
- Improved boot.img (Thanks xkonni)
- Black boot/down animations
- Fixed Google Play
- Fixed Wiper
- Other minor fixes and tweaks
- Added new kernel
- Added APM (Advanced Power Menu)
- Added Volume Wake
- Added Bravia Engine
- Extended Quick settings (Swipe carrier name left or right.)
Let’s head to the next step where we have mentioned the list of detailed list of pre requisites you need to follow compulsorily.
Screen Captures of Onyx Custom ROM Firmware:
- Data in your One S may get lost or corrupted in the process of applying this update. So, it’s better to back up the data with the help of below mentioned steps and not with the HTC Sync tool as it won’t recognize the device in the custom recovery image.
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log – Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- Minimum charge left in the device should be at least 60% so as to ensure that device doesn’t get turned Off in the middle of firmware update.
- Enable the USB Debugging in your HTC One S from the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging”. The USB Debugging option should be ticked. Below image is just for the reference and will differ from your HTC One S device.
- Disable all the antivirus suites in your computer and uninstall the same in your device as these tools generally tend to interrupt the process of firmware update.
Assuming that you have followed all the instructions mentioned above, you can now proceed to the next page where we have mentioned the detailed list of instructions to apply this update.
Pages: 1 2