How to Update HTC Desire with ICS 4.0.3 Beta 0.5.3 Custom ROM Firmware
You Desired it and here it is, for all those who are just wanting to update with the latest ICS Firmware in your HTC Desire, then this is the rom which comes close to experience of a true ICS custom ROM Firmware. Though this update is not an Official firmware update released by HTC but this ropes in all the goodness of the ICS Android 4.0 flavor. In the due course of this article we will be not just checking out on what is the tutorial to apply this update but also additionally we will be checking on how this custom ROM firmware looks like and a detailed list of essential pre requisites which are must for a safe and speedy firmware update.
As of now we don’t have any sort of ETA on by when there will be an official ICS release but as in when it comes, we will let you know about the same. Since this update is the beta firmware, there will be some issues but it will be sorted out in the coming versions.
Rooting Information: To update with this firmware, you will need to root your phone and once the device is rooted, the warranty will get void. The only way with which you can reclaim the lost warranty is by re applying the official firmware update and also you need to lock the boot loader back. We will try our level best if we can come up with an article to re lock the boot loader.
Disclaimer: Please note that this process of firmware update is not recommended for the basic users and is only recommended for the advanced users. Also, we should not be held responsible for any damage happened to your device in any manner after applying this update.
Advisory: This update should not be applied to the phones which are NETWORK LOCKED DEVICES, if you still continue to update your phone then we cannot guarantee on the consequences.
Things which Work:
- Full HWA
- USB mass storage
- Camera+ preview working
- Stable 3G
- Gmail sync + calendar working with gmail
- SD read/write
- All sensors
- Picaza sync
- Fixed permissions (3rd party apps that needed maps now works)
- Native A2SD (can flash other scripts)
- HW accelration
- Wifi tether
- Data usage tracker
- Video streaming and playback
- Extended powermenu
- Market with payed apps
Essential Pre Requisites:
- All the data in your HTC Desire should be backed up. We should not be held responsible or liable for any sort of data corruption or data loss. So, backup all the data present in your phone with the help of below mentioned steps so that the same can be restored. Ensure that you are not using HTC Sync to back up the data as it won’t detect the device in custom ROM Firmware.
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log – Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- Minimum charge left in the device should be at least 60% so as to ensure that device doesn’t get turned Off in the middle of firmware update.
- Enable the USB Debugging in your HTC Desire from the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging”. The USB Debugging option should be ticked as shown in the below screen capture.
- Ensure that you have disabled all the antivirus suites in your computer as these tools generally interrupt the process of firmware update.
So assuming that you have followed all the above mentioned instructions, you can now proceed to the next page where we have summed up a detailed article on how to apply this firmware update in your HTC Desire.