How To Update HTC Evo Shift 4G with Cyanogen MOD 7.1 Custom ROM Firmware
Just in case if you are wondering if you are having HTC Evo Shift 4G device and when the Cyanogen Mod 7.1 update will arrive then we are here to fulfill your this request as we will tell you in the due course of the article on how you can easily update your phone with this Cyanogen Mod 7.1 update release. Please note that this update in no way is the Official update which is released by the HTC as this update firmware is the Custom ROM Firmware which is developed by the Cyanogen Mod Team. Just like always we are here to simplify things rather than complicating things.
So, let’s check out in this page the list of enhancements which this version of Cyanogen Mod custom ROM 7.1 brings along and also we will check out on what are the list of pre requisite instructions which one has to follow before proceeding to updating the phone so that you can then update your device safely. All the users irrespective of the country from which you have purchased the device can proceed to apply this update but please note that this update won’t unlock the device in any manner. Also this update is not valid for the phones which are network locked devices.
Rooting Information: In the process of this firmware update, you will have to root the phone which will void the warranty. The only way you can reclaim the warranty is that you can update with the original firmware which you can take a backup of the same in the ROM Manager which will be installed in the device in the due course of this article. To get back or to regain the warranty you will have to re apply the stock update and also you will need to re lock the boot loader. We should not be held responsible for the loss of warranty.
Disclaimer: Please note that we should not be held responsible in any manner in whole or in parts if any damage is done to your device caused by updating the firmware which is a very unlikely event if you follow the instructions as mentioned in the article including the pre requisites and the procedure to update the phone.
Advisory: Ensure that you have followed the list of pre Requisites carefully or else you may or may not be able to update the phone for which we should not be held responsible for.
Features or Enhancements of Cyanogen Mod 7.1 update:
This firmware is based on the Stock 188.8.131.52 and has the AOSP Kernel,
- Gingerbread 2.3.7 based Kernel,
- Batter lasts longer with this custom ROM of Cyanogen Mod,
- Supports the latest Android Market place 3.1.6,
- Comes with the better app management tools and facilities as it supports many folder lock applications which was not there earlier.
Along with so many better features, this firmware has also got some of the disadvantages which we think that will be solved in the coming versions of the Gingerbread 2.3.7 from the Cyanogen 7.1 updates. Since its still in the beta stages, there is a room for more stability in the coming versions.
- Force close errors when more than 4 – 5 applications are kept opened at a time,
- Some of the task killers are not compatible with this CM 7.1 version of firmware
- There are issues with the Wi Fi Latching as it disconnects after 5 – 6 minutes after establishing the connection.
- There are some list of pre requisite instructions which you will have to follow before proceeding to the instructions to apply this update which are mentioned in the next page. It’s very important for you to follow the instructions which are mentioned in the below link or else you will not be able to update the phone.
- In the due course of the process, some of the data present in the phone may get lost, so ensure that you backup the same which can be then restored easily. You can follow the backup and restore options from the below mentioned tips.
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log - Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- Also, it’s important to ensure that you have charged your phone with the minimum of 75% so as to ensure that the phone doesn’t get turned Off in the middle of the firmware update process.
- After that from in your HTC Phone you will need to enable the USB Debugging from the path of “Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging”. Without enabling the USB Debugging don’t proceed to the next step.
So, first up you will have to root the HTC Evo Shift 4G device so that you can then proceed to the installation of the CM 7.1. Let’s head to the next page for rooting as well as the procedure to update HTC Shift 4G.