- In this process of firmware update, the data which is there in the phone will get lost and the same needs to be backed up so that the same can be restored easily to your phone as soon as the firmware is updated successfully. Mainly, you need to backup SMS as well as contacts as generally these are stored in the phone memory. Other things like Songs, Videos and other files will have to moved manually to the internal SD card so that this data is safe and is not tampered / deleted in the process of firmware update. You can create the backup and restore by following the simple steps which are mentioned below,
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- Next up you need to note that the battery charge has to be minimum of 75% plus as applying this update would consume higher battery than normal usage. Preferably, it’s better to proceed with the full charge.
Up next you need to ensure that you are having a Windows based PC along with the USB 2.0 capable ports with admin privileges so that there will be no hindering elements in the process of firmware update.
Procedure to turn S-Off and Custom Recovery Image installation:
Warning : Please note that following this section will void the warranty.
- So, before you proceed you will now have to download and install the HTC Sync Drivers from the mentioned link in your Windows based computer, as of now this doesn’t support Apple Mac based computers.
Now after installing the drivers, you now need to disable the fast boot on your HTC Incredible S. To disable the fast boot, you need to turn Off from this path “Settings > Power > Fast boot”.
After this you will have to ensure that the USB Debugging is enabled in your phone which can be enabled from the path of “Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging”
- After this you need to visit HTC Beta Key Generator Site where you will have to scroll down and need to click on the option of “Download for Windows” after which a file will be prompted for downloading, download the same and after that you will see a notification named “Beta Key” wherein you need to fill in the details like your operating system, your device name, HBOOT Version and also the serial number of the phone. Enter all the details as asked and after that click on the “Generate Key” as shown in the below image.
- Once you get the beta key, now all you need to do is to just connect the HTC Incredible S with the help of the USB cable to the computer.
- As soon as you get the beta key, you will now have to now open the Revolutionary beta application in your computer which you downloaded from the above mentioned site and need to enter the correct beta key which you have got in the above process.
- After this, the HTC Incredible S will be temporarily rooted and after which you will gain the S –Off in the device and then the custom recovery image will be installed after which the phone will be restarted and just in case if the device takes more than 10 -15 minutes then you will have to manually reboot the device. If the S – Off is not done manually then you need to do the same manually.
- Now, once you are done with the above process and gained the S Off status, you will now have to proceed with the next step to install the Cyanogen Mod ROM.