HTC started rolling out the Android 4.4.2 update to the HTC One in Europe, this update is available via on the air (OTA) and has the size of 308 MB. We have seen this update rolling out for the US variants of the HTC One and the Google Play edition also.
The change-log on the update notification includes the Security enhancement, support for cloud-print, new Bluetooth profiles and many other KitKat goodies. This update removed the Flash player support from the default browser and is expected to roll out other parts of Europe and Asia very soon.
If you have not received the update yet, you can update it manually by heading to the Settings> Phone Info> Software Updates> Check New and start downloading the update and then install it on your device. Did you receive you OTA update for your device? Let us know and be connected for more information.
Flagship smartphone from HTC, HTC One Android smartphone can now be updated with the Kit Kat 4.4.2 Firmware. All thanks to the Android Revolution team which has come up with this custom ROM firmware which comes with all the goodness of this latest Kitkat OS. So let’s check out on what are the quick pre requisites you need to follow after which we will check out on what is the procedure with which you can apply this firmware update. Please note that this is not the official firmware update released by HTC and is a custom ROM firmware released by Android Revolution team. There have been few updates on Kitkat 4.4.2 for HTC One but this new update comes with the new improved features which are;
- Removed software (CPU) rendering – full Snapdragon 600 (GPU) rendering
- Fully optimized and tweaked
- Root access
- Unsecured boot.img
- Newest BusyBox
- RAM optimizations
- System signatures check enabled for system security and safety
- Improved virtual memory management
- Speed optimizations
- Enabled GPU UI rendering
- Data, cache and system partitions mounting tweaks
Quick Pre Requisites:
- Before we proceed on to check about what are the quick pre requisites, make sure that you have rooted your device which can be checked from the “Root Checker” app. Download the same from Google PLAY Store if you haven’t installed yet in your HTC One.
- If your HTC One is already rooted, with the help of below mentioned steps, you will need to create the backup with the help of below mentioned steps. Don’t backup the data with the help of HTC Sync.
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log - Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- From the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging”, ensure that USB Debugging is enabled in your HTC One smartphone. Also make sure that your HTC One is left with a minimum of 50% battery life.
Disclaimer: Follow all the instructions mentioned in this article as if there is any damage caused due to not following instructions then we shall not be held liable or responsible. Just in case if you face any issues then we will try our level best to address the same.
Once you are done with the above mentioned steps, you can now head over to the next step where we have mentioned the detailed guide which will help you update the device.
Procedure to Update HTC One with KitKat 4.4.2 Android Firmware:
- Download the KitKat 4.4.2 Android Firmware Package from here to your computer and extract the boot.img file from the zip file separately.
- Up next, place the bot.img file in “platform-tools” package and then connect your device to the computer with the help of original USB cable.
- Enter the command as “ADB DEVICES” to check on whether your phone is successfully connected or not. This step will make sure that all the drivers are installed successfully in the computer.
- Up next disconnect the device from computer and turn Off the device so that it can be entered in the Fastboot mode.
- Turn on the device by pressing the Power button and then press the Volume down + Power button for entering the device in the Fastboot mode / boot loader mode.
- Open the command prompt in your computer and enter the below mentioned commands;
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- Now, all you need to do is to select the boot loader option and select the Recovery option in your device. In recovery mode, select “Wipe Data/ Factory Reset” option for clearing all the cache. Alternatively, also select “wipe dalvik cache” from the advanced option.
- In recovery mode, select “choose zip from sd card”. Using your volume keys, navigate to the Android 4.4.2 ROM zip file that you copied to your SD card and select it using the Power button.
- Once the update is applied successfully, select “go back” and choose the option of “reboot system now” for rebooting the device in the normal mode. It will take around 4 -5 minutes for applying the update.
Note: If the device gets into the boot loop sequence or say gets stuck in the welcome screen, just long press power button to restart the device and re follow the above instructions so as to again follow the above mentioned instructions.
Do share with us in the comments section just in case if you come across with any bugs / issues as we are committed to address the same at the earliest.