How To Update HTC Sensation with Cyanogen MOD 7.1 Custom ROM Firmware
So for all those who has a Sensational Android Smart phone, none other than the HTC Sensation can now benefit from the latest release of the Cyanogen mod as in the due course of this article we will see on how you can easily update the HTC Sensation with the Cyanogen Mod 7.1 version. Just in case if you are not sure of what exactly the Cyanogen MOD is then it’s a custom ROM just like any other custom ROM which is now owned by the Samsung Electronics. Now, you may ask for what are the benefits of this ROM, the benefits ranges from an all new optimized version of kernel to the better battery backup mixed with the unmatched user experience makes this ROM a truly must have one.
Disclaimer: Please note that we should not be held responsible in any manner in whole or in parts if any damage is done to your device caused by updating the firmware which is a very unlikely event if you follow the instructions as mentioned in the article including the pre requisites and the procedure to update the phone.
Caution: it’s very important to follow every single step carefully as given in the course of the article so that you do not miss out on any of the instructions which may brick your phone. Also, just in case if you get stuck in any part of the article, then you’ll have to start the whole process from the beginning, or you can let us know in the comments section if there are problems.
To make things simple, we have ensures that each and every single section is separated properly. In this page we will see the list of enhancements and also the list of pre requisites which you need to follow and then in the next page we will see on how one can turn Off the S and also on how you can load the custom recovery image. At AndroidAdvices, we will provide the complete coverage on all the latest happenings in the Android. Just in case if you feel that you want to have the Cyanogen mod 7.1 for your phone as well then do leave a comment below for the same and we will come up in a priority manner.
So, let’s get started with the enhancements first and then to the list of Pre requisites below. But before that you need to ensure that this process of the firmware update will require you to root the phone and rooting voids the warranty for which we should not be held responsible.
Enhancements in Cyanogen mod 7.1 for HTC Sensation:
- Firmware based on the Gingerbread 2.3.7,
- Stock version of Cyanogen mod 18.104.22.168 kernel,
- Supports all the AOSP kernels and also Tiamat-Saga,
- Comes with an all new Interface which is different from Stock,
- Better Battery optimization for higher battery life,
- Increased Quadrant Ranks when checked with Antutu benchmarking tool
- Supports the latest Android Market place 3.1.6,
- Comes with the better app management tools and facilities as it supports many folder lock applications which was not there earlier
Disadvantages of this ROM:
- Though this ROM comes with the latest Android market Place of 3.1.5 (upgradable to Android Market version 3.1.6) doesn’t seem to work well in the slower GPRS / EDGE / 3G / Wi Fi data speeds.
- There are some force close issues when more than 6 – 7 applications are opened.
- Some of the task killers are not compatible with this version of firmware,
So, let’s proceed and check out on how you can apply the update of Cyanogen Mod 7.1 in your HTC Sensation phone. In the next page we will see on how you can gain the S- Off and root the phone so that then you can apply this update of Cyanogen mod 7.1.
Procedure to Root & S-Off in HTC Sensation:
- In the process of the turning Off the S, and rooting, the data in the phone will be lost, so you will have to create a backup of the same so that the same can be restored once the firmware is updated successfully. With the help of some links which are mentioned below, you can do the same.
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log - Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- Before proceeding you will have to ensure that the phone is charged to the minimum of at least 90% or else you will face performance issues related to the battery. If you still face issues related to the battery then you will have to wait for the battery to charge for 3 – 4 charge cycles when the battery will be stabilized.
- Now, after this you will have to ensure that the USB Debugging is enabled in the phone which can be done from the path of “Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging”. Also, after this you will have to download the HTC Sync Drivers in your phone and then you will have to install the same in your Windows based computer (Linux and Mac based systems are not compatible). Now, disable the fast boot from the path of “Settings > Power > Fast boot”.
- Now, visit HTC Beta Key Generator Site where you will have to scroll down and need to click on the option of “Download for Windows” after which a file will be prompted for downloading, download the same and after that you will see a notification named “Beta Key” wherein you need to fill in the details like your operating system, your device name, HBOOT Version and also the serial number of the phone. You can also refer the below page for a screen capture which you will get the same once you visit the site.
- Now, after this you will get the beta key and then connect the phone to the computer using the USB cable which you got at the time of purchase. Now, open the Revolutionary Beta app which you downloaded from the link given above so that the beta key can be entered.
- As soon as the beta key is entered you will see that the temporary root access will be provided to the phone and the S- Off will be gained and then the custom recovery image will be installed successfully in the device.
So, now let’s head to the next page where we will see on what are the two different ways with which you can update your phone with the Cyanogen mod 7.1 upgrade.
Procedure to update HTC Sensation with Cyanogen MOD 7.1:
So, there are two different methods with which you can apply this update, the first one is the CWM method and the second one is the ROM Manager method.
- Download the latest Cyanogen MOD 7.1 for HTC Sensation and then you will have to also download the latest version of Google Apps from here to your computer. Please note that you should not rename or modify the file in any manner or else it will not be detected.
- Once you download the file, you will now need to proceed to connect your phone with the computer / Laptop using the USB cable to copy these two downloaded zip files to the root of your phone and not in any of the folders. Now, after successfully copying the files, you will have to now disconnect the phone from the Computer / Laptop and turn Off the phone.
- Now, you will have to enter into the recovery mode. The recovery mode in the HTC Sensation can be entered by pressing the Volume down button and then pressing the Power button after which the recovery screen will be coming up.
- Once you enter into the recovery mode, you will now have to select the option of “Clear Storage” which will clear off all the cache data. After this you need to select the option of “install zip from SD Card” and select “Choose zip from SD Card” after which there will be a list of files shown which are there in the phone out of which you need to choose the file which is named as “HTC_Sensation_CM7-signed.zip”.
- If you are getting an error of “E: Signature Failed” then it signifies that the phone is not rooted and you will have to root the phone again. Now, when the firmware is updated successfully, you will now have to again choose the option of “install zip from SD Card” > “Choose zip from SD Card” and then select the Zip file of Google Apps which you have downloaded in the above step.
- So, after updating the HTC Sensation phone with the two update zip files, select ”++++ Go back++++” and select “Reboot System Now” option which will restart the phone. Just in case if you are unable to update the phone from the above method then you will have to follow the instructions which are mentioned below to update your phone.
Let us know in the comments section if you face any issues with the updating procedure. If in an unlikely event you are unable to update by following the instructions which are mentioned above, you can follow the ROM Manager method which is mentioned below.
ROM Manager Method:
- So, before you proceed you will now have to first visit the Android Market Place and then from there you need to download the “ROM MANAGER” application in your HTC Sensation. So, as soon as you download the same, you need to open it and it will ask you for the root access, just select the option of “Allow”.
- After you open the ROM Manager application, you will now see that there are many applications, just choose the option of backing up the custom ROM. You need to create a backup of the same as just in case if anything wrong happens to the phone then you will be in a position to restore the phone in the last best known configuration. After backing up the ROM, you will have to selct the option of “install update.zip” and then choose the firmware zip file as well as the Google Apps Zip file which you have downloaded from the above links.
- So as soon as you select the same, you will now need to proceed to select “++++Go Back++++” and then select “Reboot System Now” for restarting the phone. So, there you go you have now successfully installed the latest version of Cyanogen mod in your HTC Sensation phone.
In case of any issues in the process of updation then do let us know in the comments section as we will try to reply you back with the solution as soon as possible. Just in case if in an unfortunate event if the process is interrupted, repeat the whole process of firmware update from the start so as to again update the phone.