In Love with the latest AOSP build firmwares? Then we are here with the same for your HTC Thunderbolt Android smartphone, unfortunately HTC seem sto have been forgotten about this device which it comes to rolling out the Jellybean 4.1.1 firmware update but not we and the developers. Over a period of this article we will be guiding you with a detailed tutorial on how you can apply this update with simple instructions. Prior to the instructional guide let’s check out on what are the quick pre requisites which you need to follow with the help of below mentioned instructions.
- Beats Audio AOSP
- GPS Fix Mod
- Google Now
- Nova Launcher
- Google Play Music
- Fresh Re-Build
- Verizon SSO Engine
- Removed Apollo and Themes
- Updated All Apps to Latest
- Added Adobe Reader
- Added Photo Editor
Added Local My Verizon Resource Data
- Updated Google Now
- Updated Maps
- Hopefully a netflix patch for future releases
- Full Ext 4 Support
- Cleaned up unnecessary items
- Added Spirit FM Free
- Removed Wifi Tether Apps (Please Use Internet Settings)
Please be informed that for applying this update you will have to root the device for applying this update as this is a custom ROM firmware developed by a recognized XDA developer [SP]JESTER.Not all features are working flawlessly in this firmware built which are mentioned below,
- Video Camera still Broke
- Netflix is dead
- Wifi Tether may be broke for now, Use the Internal version in settings
We recommend you to back up all the data present in your phone so that just in case if the data gets lost or corrupted the same can be restored with the help of below mentioned steps. Don’t use HTC Sync for backing up the data as it won’t support the device after getting updated.
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log – Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
To check on whether your phone is rooted or not, download “Root Checker” app from the Google PLAY Store and tap on “Check Root Access”. Ensure that the device is left with the minimum of 60% battery charge and also disable / remove all the antivirus apps present in your device as these tools generally interrupt the process of firmware update.
So assuming that you have followed all the above mentioned instructions, you can now head over to the next page where we have summed up a detailed procedure on how to apply this update in your device with the help of a simple guide mentioned below.
Procedure to Update HTC Thunderbolt with Jellybean 4.1.1 based AOKP Firmware Update:
- Download the Jellybean 4.1.1 Firmware Package and Google Apps Package from here to your computer. Once downloaded, connect your phone to the computer using the original USB cable and place these two zip files in your computer. Once placed, disconnect the device and turn Off the device so that it can be then entered in the recovery mode via the boot loader mode.
- You can also enter the device in the recovery mode with the help of “ROM Manager” which can be downloaded from the Google PLAY Store. Once you open the ROM Manager app, select “enter into the Recovery Mode” which will then enter the device in the recovery mode. if not then by following the below step you can enter the device in the recovery mode.
- The recovery mode in htc thunderbolt can be entered by pressing the Volume Down button + Power Button till you see the recovery mode screen on your phone. Select “install zip from sd card” > “choose zip from sd card” and then choose the Jellybean ROM Firmware Package and then after that the Google Apps which is placed in the phone in the same mentioned order. If you face any issues then you will have to clear the cache and wipe the data from the recovery mode so as to clear out all the data present in your phone.
- Once the files are selected, it will take around 4 -5 minutes for applying the update. As soon as the update is applied successfully, select “Go Back” and then select “reboot system now” for rebooting the phone.
Tip: Due to some reasons if the update process gets failed or interrupted, then you need to apply the update again by following the steps again from the start. Don’t forget to restore the backup which you have taken in the initial steps.
So that’s it you have now successfully applied the update of Abduction custom rom firmware in your htc thunderbolt. Do let us know in the comments section just in case if you face any issues as we will try to fix the same at the earliest.