Motorola Droid smartphone users can now rejoice as in the due course of this article we will be checking out on how you can install the latest Jellybean 4.1 firmware which is not just high on feature list but also comes along with the latest version of Google Apps like Google Now etc. Full credits to the XDA Senior Member kfazz for coming out with this update and also you will have to ensure that your device is rooted as this works only on the rooted devices. This firmware is powered by the Cyanogen mod 10 firmware update and ropes in the latest Jellybean 4.1.1 firmware update.
To check on whether the device is rooted or not, you can check the same from the app “Root Checker” from the Google PLAY Store. Over a period of this article we will be checking out on how you can upgrade the firmware with the simple steps along with the details pre requisites which you will have to follow. The best part of this update is that its jellybean 4.1.1 and also comes with all the enhancements in terms of the user interface which this Jellybean 4.1.1 firmware has.
Disclaimer: We should not be held responsible for any damage happened to your device due to not following the instructions mentioned. Don’t apply this update in your network locked devices or else it may lock the devices or may even brick the device.
- Before applying this update you will have to make sure that you have created a backup of all the data present in your phone so as to make sure that just in case if the data gets lost or corrupted, the same can be restored with the help of below mentioned steps. Don’t use Motorola’s PC Suite for backing up the data as it won’t detect the devices in the custom ROM firmwares.
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log – Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- Disable all the antivirus suites in your device and computer. Minimum battery life should not be less than 50% so as to make sure that device doesn’t get turned off in the middle of firmware update process. Ensure that you have disabled all the active antivirus suites present in then device as it may interrupt the process of firmware update.
So assuming that you have followed all the above mentioned instructions above, you can now head over to the next step where we have mentioned a detailed guide on how to apply the update.
Procedure to Update Motorola Droid smartphone with Jellybean 4.1.1 Firmware:
- Download the Google Apps Package & Jellybean 4.1.1 Firmware Package from here to your computer. Once downloaded, connect your device to the computer with the help of original USB cable and move these two files in your device’s SD Card. Once copied, disconnect the device from computer.
- Download the ROM Manager app from the Google PLAY Store and once downloaded, select the option of Enter device into the recovery mode by selecting the same.
- Now, once the device is entered in the recovery mode, select the option of “install zip from sd card” > “choose zip from sd card” and then choose the Jellybean 4.1.1 ROM firmware & Google Apps package which you have placed in your Droid smartphone.
- It will take around 4 -5 minutes for applying this update. Once the device is updated, the device will land up in the recovery mode screen. Select “Go Back” and select “Reboot system now” for rebooting the device in the normal mode. It will take more than usual time for rebooting the device.
Note: Just in case if your Droid gets stuck on the Motorola Logo or say gets stuck on the firmware application process, then long press the Power button and turn off the device to start applying the update again.
To check on whether the device is updated with the latest version or not, you can check the same from the path “Settings > About Phone > Firmware Version”. Congratulations, you have now successfully updated your device to latest Jellybean 4.1.1 firmware update. Do let me know if you face any issues as we will try our level best to sort out the same in the comments section below. We will very soon be coming up with many custom ROM firmwares which will make you device much more powerful than ever.