Motorola Droid users seems to be luck as an all new version of Cyanogen Mod 9 firmware has arrived and we will check out the same in the due course of the article. Please note that to accommodate this Cyanogen Mod 9 firmware in your phone, you need to ensure that the device is rooted. This cyanogen Mod 9 ropes in the goodness of ICS Android 4.0 firmware. This version of ICS is not an official version released by Motorola Inc., there is still no ETA on the arrival of official version but be rest assured that as in when it arrives, we will come up with the same. This cyanogen Mod 9 is developed by abaldan and ropes in the latest Android 4.0.3 firmware version of ICS.
Please follow all the instructions mentioned below carefully so as to facilitate smoother and safer firmware update of your Motorola Droid. Please note that there is no exact change log of this version and also this version is not a stable version. Over a period of time, we will be coming out with many other builds which will be the stable releases. Due to some reasons we couldn’t provide you the screen captures of how this ROM looks like but be rest assured as it exactly resembles like Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0 stock firmware with added features.
Note: Most of the Google Apps are installed to /data/vendor. if you are updating from earlier CM9 build, use “rm -r /system/*” in recovery console before installation to make sure you don’t run out of space in /system because of previously installed Google Apps
Though most of the features work but there are few features which doesn’t work which are mentioned below:
- accelerated video decoding using TI DSP
The fix for these two things will be coming very soon and as in when it comes, we will keep you posted.
Disclaimer: Please note that we should not be held responsible in any manner in whole or in parts if any damage is done to your device caused by updating the firmware which is a very unlikely event if you follow the instructions as mentioned in the article including the pre requisites and the procedure to update the phone.
Please note that, this firmware can only be applied by the users who are on the Rooted firmware, this cannot be applied to the phones which are non-rooted phones and are on the stock firmwares.
CAUTION: This update should not be applied to the phones which are NETWORK LOCKED DEVICES, if you still continue to update your phone then we cannot guarantee on the consequences.
So, let’s proceed to the procedure mentioned in the next page but before that you need to follow the list of Quick Pre Requisites which are mentioned here in the corresponding link.
Procedure to Update Motorola Droid with Cyanogen Mod 9 Firmware:
- Download Cyanogen MOD 9 firmware Zip from here to your computer along with Google Apps Package. As soon as you download these two, connect your phone to the computer using the USB cable to copy these two downloaded files to your phone.
- Once you place these two files, disconnect the phone from the computer and enable the USB Debugging in your phone from the path Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging as shown in the below image. Also, if at all there are any Antivirus suites installed in your phone then remove or disable the same.
- Turn Off the phone so as to enter the phone in the recovery mode. To enter into the recovery mode, hold “X” on the physical keyboard, hold the power button to turn on the phone. You may let go of the power button, but do not let go of X. After this, an Exclamation Mark icon will appear. You may now let go of X. To access Recovery Mode from the exclamation mark icon, hold the volume up button and then press the camera button.
- In recovery mode, select “Clear storage” which will clear all the data which is there in your phone. After this, select “install zip from SD Card” > “Choose zip from SD Card” to select the zip file of Cyanogen Mod 9 which you have placed in the phone.
- It will take around 15 minutes to apply this firmware in your phone, once the process is over you will again land up in the recovery mode screen. Select “++++ Go Back ++++” and choose “reboot system now” to restart the device normally.
Tip: Restore the backup of all the data which you have made so as to ensure that all the apn settings as well as other crucial data is restored.
So there you go, you have now successfully updated your phone with the latest version of Cyanogen Mod 9 version. Do let us know if you face any issues in the comments section below as we will try our level best to sort out the same.