LG Nexus 5 Android phone can now be updated with the Cyanogen Mod 11 build which also ropes in the magic of KitKat 4.4.2 Android firmware. While there are few custom ROM firmwares available for Nexus 5 Android phone, the magic of cyanogen mod firmware is totally different and really spills the excitement in terms of operability and stability. So, let’s check out on how you can apply this firmware update. Before proceeding to checking out on what are the exact instructions with which you can apply the update, you will have to follow the list of quick pre requisites which we have summed up below.
Essential Pre Requisites:
- All the data in your Nexus 5 should be backed up with the help of below mentioned steps. Don’t make use of any tools to back up the data.
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log – Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- Head over to the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging” in your Nexus 5 so as to enable the USB Debugging Mode.
- Make sure that minimum charge left in your phone is 50% or else there is a risk of device getting turned off in the middle of firmware update increases which may even brick your Nexus 5.
- Since this is the custom ROM firmware, you will need to makes sure that your phone is rooted. To check on whether your phone is rooted or not, you will have to download the “Root Checker” app from the Google PLAY Store.
Disclaimer: Follow all the instructions mentioned in this article as if there is any damage caused due to not following instructions then we shall not be held liable or responsible. Just in case if you face any issues then we will try our level best to address the same.
Assuming that you are done with the above mentioned steps, you can now head over to the next step where we have mentioned the detailed guide to apply this update.
Procedure to Update Nexus 5 with KitKat 4.4.2 Cyanogen Mod 11 Firmware:
- Download the KitKat 4.4.2 Android OS Package of Cyanogen Mod 11 and Google Apps Package from here to your computer and once downloaded place the same in your device.
- Recovery Mode in Nexus 5 can be entered by ROM Manager app. Alternatively you can also enter your device into the recovery mode with the help of Command prompt.
- In recovery mode, Clear the Cache and Wipe the data with the help of appropriate steps. Once done, select “install zip from sd card” and then choose the zip file of Jellybean 4.4.2 Android which you have placed in your phone and then the Google Apps Package.
- Once the firmware is updated, select “Go Back” and select “reboot system now”. The whole process of firmware update will take around 10-12 minutes. Once the firmware is updated successfully, you can check the same from the path “Settings > About Phone” where the current firmware version will be mentioned.
Note: If at all your Nexus 5 gets in the boot loop sequence then you need to turn off the device and then reapply the update from the start. To turn off long press the power button.
In coming days, we will very soon come out with more number of custom ROM firmwares for your device. So there you go, you have now successfully updated your device with the latest Jellybean 4.4.2 firmware. Do let us know in the comments section just in case if you face any issues in the process of updating the firmware.