While the speculations are ON about the 32GB of Google Nexus 7 tablet, you can now just sit back and install the latest custom ROM firmware which is dubbed as Liquid Smooth-Jelly Bean v2.0 RC3. We have also summed up a detailed guide on how to apply this firmware update along with the detailed features and screen captures on how this firmware looks like. Please ensure that for applying his update, you will have to root the device. The best part of this update is that it comes with various enhanced features which Google Nexus 7 device fails to deliver in the stock / default firmware. This Liquid Smooth RC3 custom ROM firmware has been rolled out to other devices as well.
Features of Liquid Smooth RC3 custom ROM firmware:
- Framework optimizations to enhance performance
- Ultra Slim Size: Deodexed, Debloated, Zip-Aligned and Opti-png
- Startup script control (sysctl, cron, zipalign etc)
- Forced Tablet Mode with DPI Changer
- Status Bar Mods – Battery, Clock, Provider Name Changer and more…
- Toggles (Both AOKP/CM style)
Disclaimer: Follow all the instructions mentioned in this article as if there is any damage caused due to not following instructions then we shall not be held liable or responsible. Just in case if you face any issues then we will try our level best to address the same.
There is a risk of data getting wiped off, so it’s highly recommended to create a backup of all the data present in your Google Nexus 7 device with the help of below mentioned steps. Don’t make use of any sort of PC Suites for backing up the data as it doesn’t recognize the device in the custom ROMs.
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log - Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
Minimum battery charge left in your device should be 30% or else the device may get turned Off in the middle of firmware update. Also, ensure that all antivirus tools should be turned Off as these tools interrupt the process of firmware update. Navigate to the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging”, enable the USB Debugging in your Google Nexus.
Rooting information: For applying this update, you need to root the device and unlock the boot loader. Without rooting and unlocking the boot loader you cannot apply the update in your Nexus 7 device. Please ensure that you are rooting and unlocking the device by following the instructions which are mentioned in the above respective links.
So assuming that you are done with all the above mentioned instructions, lets head to the next step where we have summed up a detailed guide on how to apply this firmware.
Procedure to Update Google Nexus 7 tablet with Liquid Smooth RC3 custom ROM firmware:
- Download the Liquid Smooth RC3 custom ROM firmware & Google Apps package from here to your computer. Once downloaded, connect your device to the computer with the help of original USB cable and place these two zip files in your Google Nexus 7 tablet.
- Up next disconnect the device from the computer and download the ROM Manager app from the Google PLAY Store. Open the ROM Manager app in your Nexus tablet and select the option of “Flash Clock Work mod Recovery” and then once its flashed successfully, select the option of “Reboot into Recovery Mode”.
- In recovery mode, select “install zip from sd card” > “choose zip from sd card” and then choose the firmware package which you have placed in the device. It will take around 4 -5 minutes for applying the update, once the firmware is updated successfully, the device will be rebooted and you will be prompted to enter the Google Account and your name.
- To check on whether your device is updated with the latest firmware version or not, you will have to navigate to the Settings > About Phone where the firmware version will be mentioned as Liquid Smooth RC3 custom ROM firmware.
Note: If at all your Google Nexus 7 Tablet phone gets in the boot loop sequence then you need to turn off the device and then reapply the update from the start. To turn off you can reinsert the battery or say you can long press the power button.
Do share with us in the comments section just in case if you face any issues as we will try our level best to sort out the same. Congratulations, you have now successfully applied the update of Liquid Smooth RC3 custom ROM firmware in your Google Nexus 7 device.