How to Update Samsung Epic 4G D710 with Galaxy S3 Themed Custom ROM firmware
Samsung Galaxy S3 GT I9300 has arrived and for all the users who loved the Touch Wix UX interface of S3, can now port the same along with all other native looks in your Samsung Epic 4G D710 smartphone. Please note that this S3 themed firmware is not an Official firmware released by SAMSUNG, but is a custom ROM firmware developed on the base of FE22 version of firmware. Also, this custom ROM firmware ropes in the goodness of ICS 4.0 firmware along with the Touch Wiz UX Launcher, Wallpapers and many other mods of S3.
Rooting Information: in the process of applying this update, the device will have to be rooted and the only way with which you can revoke the root access is by updating manually with any of the Stock firmwares which we covered in Samsung Epic 4G category.
In the due course of this article we will be checking out on what are the pre requisites you need to followed by which we will be checking out on the detailed guide in the next page. Full credits to XDA Developer scarmon25 for developing this firmware to a near stable version, though if you find any bugs you can mention the same in the comments section below.
Add-Ons / Highlights of S3 ROM for Epic 4G:
- Themed MMS to mimic the Sky Rocket MMS
- Mildy debloated. Some apks left as not to effect functionality
- Icons have been themed with the icons from the Galaxy S3
- S Voice comes pre-loaded in this custom ROM,
- Stock Wallpapers of S3 are now compatible,
- Stock Email and Exchange works butter smooth,
- Overall touch interface is better than ever,
- Battery life has been marginally up scaled,
- Additional options for further fine tuning user experience have been infused
Disclaimer: Neither AndroidAdvices, nor developer should be held responsible for any damage happened to your device in the process of following the instructions mentioned in this article. It’s very unlikely that there will be any issues but just in case if at all there are any issues then we are committed to help you in solving the same.
- We highly recommend to back up all the below mentioned data so that just in case if the data gets wiped or corrupted, the same can be restored with the help of below mentioned steps.
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log - Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- Minimum charge left in the device should be at least 60% so as to ensure that device doesn’t get turned Off in the middle of firmware update.
- Disable all the security suites installed in your computer and uninstall all antivirus tools in your computer so as to ensure that the firmware update is not interrupted in the middle of the process.
- Enable the USB Debugging in your Epic 4G from the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging”. The USB Debugging option should be ticked.
Additional Pre Requisites for users on Custom ROM Firmware:
- Turn Off the device and enter your Epic 4G in recovery mode. In recovery mode, Wipe the data, Clear the cache. After this, select “Advanced” option and clear & wipe the Dalvik cache present in your phone. Once performed all the above mentioned steps, you now need to select “reboot system now” for rebooting the device.
So assuming that you have followed all the instructions mentioned above, you can now proceed to the next page where we have mentioned a detailed guide on how to apply this update.