Update Samsung Galaxy S GT I9000 to Stable Gingerbread XXJVK 2.3.3
Finally the time has arrived for installing the latest Android’s Gingerbread 2.3.3 version for the mighty Samsung Galaxy S. With so many versions in place for Froyo, we too expect that this remains one of the stable versions with better battery stand by time, improved user interface with an all new redesigned set of graphics with improved overall speeds and Quadrant speeds. So, for all those whose Samsung Galaxy S GT I9000 is bricked or is not working can breathe a sigh of relief as with this version of Gingerbread you can get back your phone to life, so all you need to do is to just simply follow the below procedure point to point as given below and irrespective of which version you are on, you can proceed with this update for your phone. This update is applied for all the Android users of Galaxy S GT I9000 irrespective of what version you are on, to check on which version you are currently on, just tap on the Settings > About Phone > Firmware Version where you will find the version of Android OS. This version also comes with working Swype keypad which was not working for some of those in the previous Gingerbread version of 2.3.2 but has some minor issues* which are mentioned at the bottom of this article. Also, most importantly this update can be applied to any of the Galaxy S across the World, so go ahead and follow the flashing instructions as mentioned below.
This version of XXJVK 2.3.3 is a KIES leak version. So, let’s check out what are the set of pre requisites one should have before proceeding to update your Galaxy S GT I 9000 with 2.3.3 version of Gingerbread.
Pre requisites and Instructions:
1. Before proceeding to update ensure that you sync all your contacts with your Google Account, all sms, apps, videos and music files which are there in your phone should be taken a backup or else the data will be lost. Anything which is in SD card will not be lost, so you can alternatively move to SD Card.
2. Next up remove the SIM card as well as the external SD cards if any in your phone,
3. Now, ensure that you keep some things handy like USB cable which you have got with your Galaxy S GT I9000 and also the Galaxy S device,
4. Most importantly you need to ensure that your phone has atleast75-80% of battery power left, this is just an advisory which if followed then you will not experience any difficulties as while updation of the device the battery consumption is at a maximum,
5. Ensure that your computer / laptop which runs on a XP, Vista or Windows 7 OS the firewall and other antivirus programs are disabled and also you should have admin privileges to download and install the software including the drivers and also along with this you will be requiring the USB port on your computer which supports USB 2.0.
6. (Optional) Many of the Galaxy S users have reported the problem that they are unable to get into the download mode which is the top most necessity for updating your device, so for all those we came up with a tutorial here, just follow the given instructions and you can easily fix the download mode and also the recovery mode bug. This procedure is only for those whose devices unable to get into the download mode and the recovery mode.
7. Please note that flashing with the firmwares doesn’t mean that you are ROOTING your device. If you have flashed with Voodoo Lag fixes then too you can easily flash your device with this firmware.
8. Ensure that you have closed the KIES completely and also disable any firewalls if any.
Procedure to flash / update XXJVK 2.3.3 stable version on your Galaxy S GT I9000:
- After downloading the XXJVK 2.3.3 flash firmware kit which contains 3 files, PDA, Phone and CSC along with the Odin as well as the PIT file which you will get when you unzip the same with the help of WinZip and need to extract the same on to your desktop and if it prompts you for the password then you will have to enter the password as “androidadvices.com”.
- Now, you need to switch off your phone and also ensure that you have completely closed the KIES application on your computer and ensure that you haven’t connected the mobile to the computer.
- Now as mentioned in the above pre requisites, first switch off your phone, take out the sim card along with the memory card and turn on your device in the download mode. To start download mode in Samsung Galaxy S GT I 9000, you need to hold the Volume Down button + the Home key button (the middle button). While holding these both buttons, you need to switch ON your device. If you see a screen like the below one then only it means that you have successfully started your device in the download mode. If your device restarts normally with home screen then that means download mode have not been initiated, in this case you again need to switch off the device and again you will have to try restarting your device in download mode. The biggest benefit of the Download mode is that it acts like a safe mode for your phone which has the ability to restore the files if anything goes wrong.
- Now, after successfully getting into the download mode, you will have to connect the Phone to the computer with the help of USB cable while Odin opened in the desktop. As soon as you connect the phone, you will see that first ID:COM box as shown below will turn yellow and in the message box you will see that it will show ADDED as shown in the below screen shot.
- Now, after this you need to fill in the options like as mentioned below,
PIT – s1_odin_20100512.pit
PDA – PDA_XXJVK_Sbl.tar.md5
Phone – PHONE_XXJVK.tar.md5
CSC – CSC_OXAJVK.tar.md5
Please note that you don’t add or select any other option, as this may do some serious consequences to your device after which you may not be able to use your device. After double checking the above parameters, all you need to do is to just simply click on the Start option to proceed for the updation process.
- Now, after this just click on the Start option and after which the firmware installation on your Galaxy S will initiate, do note that you don’t plug out the USB cable and also ensure that the power supply to your computer is not interrupted or else you will have to just repeat the whole procedure again
- After 2-3 minutes of the process updation, the updation process will be completed after which you will see that the device will be restarting and this reboot generally is a bit longer one as this is the first reboot after the firmware update.
- Now, after reboot you will see that you will be asked to set up the startup options, choose the options accordingly and then after you see the home screen and after the completion of Media scanning, you will have to go in the recovery mode wherein you will have to delete the cache memory so that all unwanted files are removed if there are any left in the phone.
- For this you will have to first turn off your device, long press the volume up key, press Menu as holding both the buttons press the power button to start. You can see that after device gets switched ON, you will find options like clear cache data. You can clear that by selecting options Wipe data/factory reset and also you need to select Wipe Cache partition after which you need to reboot your device by selecting reboot system now after which your Galaxy S will be rebooting and again you will have to set up your Google accounts etc.
- Now, last but not the least, you are now successfully on the Gingerbread 2.3.3 version which is quite stable and also there are no functions which doesn’t run on Galaxy S after this update, since this one is the KIES release it’s the most stable version.
Now, to check on which version you are on then you will have to just tap on the Settings > About Phone > Firmware Version where you will find the version of Android OS where it will show 2.3.3.
*One problem after installation of this firmware has been reported that if your GPRS/EDGE connection is very slow then it will prompt an error of Reliable data connection error which is not faced on WiFi or on 3G network and also the option of USB “Ask on connection” has now been removed in this new version of Gingerbread.
Do, let us know if you face any sorts of problems, we will guide you with the same.