Procedure to Update Galaxy S2 with Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0.1 XXKP2 Firmware:
- Download ICS Android 4.0.1 XXKP2 Zip Package from here to your computer. After this, you need to extract the same preferably to desktop so that you can easily locate the same. In the process of extraction, you will be prompted to enter the password. Enter the password as “androidadvices.com” without inverted comas.
- Once the zip file is downloaded and extracted, match all the contents of the zip package with the below shown screen capture. Even if single file goes missing, then check with download / extraction process. The total size of Zip file should be “MB”.
- After this, you need to turn off your phone so as to enter into the Download Mode. To enter into the download mode you will have to now you will have to press the Volume Down Key + OK (Center) button, and holding both simultaneously press the Power Button. Alternatively, you can also refer to the video below to know how to get into the download Mode.
Note: If you are unable to get into the download mode despite several trials then you should not proceed to the instructions below.
- Once you enter into download mode, open ODIN in your computer which you will find in the extracted files. While keeping Odin opened, connect the device to the computer using the Original USB cable. After a minute or two, you should be able to see the ID : COM section turn yellow. If it turns yellow then that means that all the drivers are successfully installed and you are ready to proceed to the next step.
- Now in Odin by clicking on the corresponding options, select the respective files from the extracted folder.
PIT – u1_02_20110310_emmc_EXT4.pit
BOOTLOADER – I9100_APBOOT_I9100XXKP1_CL16459_REV02_eng_mid_ship.tar.md5,
PDA – I9100_CODE_I9100XXKP1_CL16459_REV02_eng_mid_ship.tar.md5
Phone – MODEM_I9100XXKP1_REV_02_CL1085642.tar.md5
- Once you are done with the file selections, click on “Start” to start the process of firmware update. It will take up to 10 minutes to finish the process of firmware update. Just in a rare case if the process gets failed or get stucks at some point even after 15 minutes, then pull out the USB, re insert the battery and re try the hole process again.
- After this disconnect the USB Cable, turn Off the phone and enter into the download mode to connect the phone to computer while keeping Odin opened in your computer to select the file as mentioned below. Don’t select any other file in any other option.
PDA – I9100_KERNEL_I9100XXKP1_CL16459_REV02_eng_mid_ship.tar.md5
- Once the update is applied successfully, the device will be restarted and then you will be prompted to enter you will need to enter your Google Account Credentials to get access to the Google powered Applications along with the Wi Fi settings or 3G Settings.
- To confirm on whether the firmware has successfully updated or not, go to path “Settings > About Phone > Firmware Version” where you will find the version of Android OS where it will show the current firmware version as Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.1. If there is any other version then that means that the firmware is not updated successfully and you need to follow the instructions again from the start.
(Optional) Users Facing Force Close Errors:
Assuming that you have flashed Kernel too after the firmware update, you now need to turn off the phone so as to enter into the recovery mode. The recovery mode can be entered by pressing Volume Down Key + OK button, and holding both simultaneously press the Power Button. In recovery mode, select options “Wipe data/factory reset”, “Wipe Cache partition” and after this you need to also select “reboot system” so as to restart the phone.
Congratulations!, you are now on the latest version of ICS Android 4.0.1 Firmware. Do share with us in the comments section just in case if you face any issues in the process of firmware update. We will try to fix the same at the earliest.