Samsung Galaxy S2 users on att network now have a reason to smile as an all new update has arrived in the form of Gingerbread 2.3.5 and is dubbed as UCKJ1. Please note that this is not the official release of the firmware which is launched by either the att or the Samsung Electronics and is the leaked version of the firmware. In this page we will see about the list of enhancements and new features which this version of firmware brings along and also we will see the list of pre requisites which in one has to follow before you proceed to update the phone.
Applying this firmware update in no manner will be rooting the device, so there is no fear of losing the warranty. Also, just in case if you have already rooted the device then after applying this update the rooting access will be revoked. To root the phone again, we will be coming up with a new article wherein we will check out on how you can root the same. But please note that rooting voids the warranty.
Please note that we should not be held liable or responsible in any manner if anything wrong happens to your device which is the most unlikely if you follow the instructions as prescribed in the due course of this article. It’s very important to follow the instructions or else the phone may even get bricked.
For all those who are already on the custom ROM firmwares then you will have to ensure that you clear all the cache data from the recovery mode. The recovery mode can be entered by pressing Volume UP on Volume Down Key + OK button, and holding both simultaneously press the Power Button. In the recovery mode choose the options like Wipe data/factory reset and also you need to select Wipe Cache partition after which you need to reboot your device by selecting reboot system now.
Just in case if you are using the Voodoo Kernels or any of the Voodoo products in your Samsung Galaxy S2 then it’s very necessary to disable the same or else it will create issues in updating the device. You can disable the Voodoo Lag fix from the “Advanced” option which will be there in the recovery mode. Also, you will have to clear the battery stats in your phone from the recovery mode itself.
There are few enhancements as well as the new additions which are listed below:
- Battery charge has been substantially increased up to 15%,
- Android Market Place now works perfectly even on slow data speeds,
- Supports latest version of Android Market Place 3.2.0,
- Higher quadrant ranks when measured with Antutu Benchmarking tool,
- Home button lag as well as the Lock screen Bug has now been fixed,
- Internet browser has been modified for faster surfing speed,
- Wi Fi bug of frequent disconnection has been fixed,
- Free space have been improved marginally,
- GPS Connectivity in indoors is not an issue anymore,
- Now supports Rooting ,
- Bluetooth Pairing error which some users reported last time too has now been fixed in this firmware
- Over scroll Glow is now part of the standard features,
- Download Managements folder algorithm has been modified to support all email attachment downloads.
Note: You need to follow a detailed list of Pre Requisite instructions which we have compiled just for you so that no issues are faced if you follow them before proceeding to update your phone.
Once you are done with the following of Pre Requisites, let’s proceed with the procedure to update Samsung Galaxy S2 I777 with the latest version of Gingerbread 2.3.5 UCKJ1 in the next page.
Procedure to update Galaxy S2 SGH I777 with Gingerbread 2.3.5:
- First up you will have to download the Odin executable file from here. Please note that just in case in the process of extraction the password is asked then you need to enter the password as “androidadvices.com”. So, once the password is entered you will see that Odin will be opened up as shown in the below screen capture.
- Please note that only the Odin which is mentioned in the article should be used, if you continue to proceed using the Odin which you downloaded from any other source apart from the “AndroidAdvices.com” then we should not be held responsible for the damage done to your device as that may or may not update your phone.
- So, once the Odin is opened in your computer you will now need to turn off your phone so that you can then enter into the download mode which is in other words is the safe mode. The download mode can be entered by pressing down on Volume Down Key + OK button, and holding both simultaneously press the Power Button. Note that if the device boots up in the normal mode then you will need to again try the procedure to enter into the download mode as without download mode its very dangerous to proceed to the next step.
- Once you enter into the download mode, with the help of the USB cable which you got at the time of purchase connect the phone with the computer while keeping the Odin opened in your computer. Once the phone is connected you can see the indication that the phone is connected and also the ID : COM section will turn Yellow, after this all you need to do is to just click on the “Start” to start the proceedings of the firmware update. In the process of firmware update ensure that you are not interrupting the process of firmware update or else you may face issues like phone not turning ON.
- As soon as the firmware update is successfully installed, the phone will be restarted automatically and then you will have to select the Language Preferences followed by the Google Account credentials. After this you will see that the home screen is being shown which means that the firmware has been successfully installed. To check that the firmware has been successfully update dor not, you need to go to the path “Applications > Settings > About Phone” where you will see that the firmware version will be UCKJ1 2.3.5 Gingerbread version.
- That’s it you now need to turn Off the phone as you will now have to enter into the recovery mode to clear off all the cache data which is there in your phone. The recovery mode can be entered by pressing up on Volume Down Key + OK button, and holding both simultaneously press the Power Button. In recovery mode you will have to select options options like Wipe data/factory reset and also you need to select Wipe Cache partition after which you need to reboot your device by selecting reboot system now.
That’s it, so in this way you have successfully updated the phone. Do let us know in the comments section below if you face any issues as we will try our level best to address all your issues at the earliest.