How To Update Samsung Nexus S 4G with Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0 Firmware
It was the last time when we saw on how to update your Samsung Nexus S with the latest version of Ice Cream Sandwich and now this time we will see in this article on how to update Samsung Nexus S 4G with the latest AOSP build of Android 4.0 version. Please note that this is not the final version of Ice Cream Sandwich firmware, so you will face some issues with this firmware and is not recommended for the users who are beginners, its only recommended if and only if you are a developer or the one who knows on how to get back to the Official version of firmware.
There are few things which work in this ICS port for Nexus S 4G which are listed below,
Things which work:
- 3G / WCDMA Data Option,
- 2D / 3D Hardware Acceleration partially,
- Audio, Camera, GPS, Face Unlock,
- Wi Fi (After applying Patch),
- In depth Data usage Statistics &
Things which don’t Work:
- Camera Recording etc
Still some of the functionalities are not yet coded for this ICS build which includes the NFC Capabilities etc. which we hope that it will be updated in the next version of the build which is slated to be released late next month that is in December 2011. So, getting back on how to apply this firmware, you need to go through three main parts which are the quick pre Requisistes followed by the procedure to apply this update with the instructions in the next page. This update should only be followed by the users who are having the unlocked Samsung Nexus S 4G phones only, if you continue to apply with any other phone then the device will get bricked.
Disclaimer: At Android Advices, we have made sure in all respects that all the information regarding the firmware update is mentioned correctly in this article. We hold no responsibility in any manner just in case if any damage happens to your Samsung Nexus S 4G which is a very unlikely event if you follow the instructions carefully.
Quick Pre Requisistes:
- Ensure that the device is left with charge with at least 60% so as to ensure that the phone doesn’t get turned Off in the process of firmware update.
- After this you need to create a backup of data which is there in your phone memory so that just in case if the data gets lost then you can easily restore the same. With the below mentioned tips, you can easily backup and restore the data.
Text messages – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Phone Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log - Call Log and Restore
Pictures, Music, Videos, Files etc.– Copy to internal / External SD Card,
Internet & MMS Settings – Backup all the settings from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- After this, you need to enable the USB debugging in your phone from the path Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging.
- All the tools like Firewalls, Antivirus and PC Suites like KIES should be completely closed in your computer as these tend to interrupt the process of firmware update. Also, use the USB cable which you got at the time of purchase or else you might not be able to transfer the zip file which we will be seeing in the due course of this article.
So, now lets head to the next page where we will see on what is the procedure to apply the Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0 version in your Nexus S 4G.