The version of Android is Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0 Firmware which is released by Xperia Remix team but it comes with all the Jellybean goodies in it. Over a period of this article we will be checking out on how you can easily apply this custom ROM firmware in your device and also we will be checking out on what are the quick and essential pre requisites you need to go through so that the firmware is applied successfully. The best part of this firmware is that this firmware is based on the original Android 4.0 based ROM which SONY Arc smartphone has got. This firmware comes with no force close issues and ropes in many features which are sure to impress you, full credits to the recognized XDA developer OP for coming out with this custom ROM firmware.
In the past few days we saw on some of the custom ROM firmwares for SONY Arc but they were not so stable when compared to this one and also int eh coming days we will checking more such custom ROM firmware. Unfortunately, SONY hasn’t given any timelines for the Jellybean 4.1.1 update roll out which too is due for SONY Ericsson Arc. For applying this update, you will have to be on the Rooted firmware, to check, download the “Root Checker” app from the Google PLAY Store to check the same on whether the device is rooted or not.
Ensure that you have installed the ADB in your computer and also make sure that you have disabled all the antivirus suites present in your device as these tools generally intetrrupt the process of firmware update. Additionally, make sure that your SONY Arc smartphone is left with the minimum of 40% battery life.
With the help of below steps, manually backup all the data present in your device and not with the PC Companion tool as it won’t detect the device in the custom ROM firmwares.
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log - Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
Head over to the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging”, enable the USB Debugging by selecting the appropriate option in your SONY Xperia Arc smartphone.
Now, assuming that you have followed all the above mentioned instructions, you can head over to the next step where we have summed up a detailed tutorial on how to update your phone.
Procedure to Update SONY Xperia Arc with Jellybean Styled Custom ROM Firmware:
- Download the ICS Jellybean Styled Custom ROM Firmware, Wi-Fi modules file, kernel and fastboot packages from here to your computer.
- Once it’s downloaded, you now will have to connect your device to the computer with original USB cable and then place the ICS Jellybean Styled Custom ROM Firmware and Wi-Fi module file in your device. Ensure that you are not placing the file deep into the device. Now, extract the Fastboot.zip file to the C:\ drive on your computer and then place the ArcKnight_RC3.5.1_ST.img file to the Fast boot folder.
- Now, turn off your SONY Ericsson Xperia ARC Smartphone so that it can be entered in the fastboot mode, Press and hold the Menu key in your ARC and then doing this you will need to connect the device to the computer using the original USB cable.
- Now, after this, you need to start the Command prompt in your computer. In the command prompt, you will have to enter the below mentioned commands as they are mentioned or else it won’t be able to detect the device.
fastboot flash boot ArcKnight_RC3.5.1_ST.img
- Just in case if you get the notification as “waiting for device” then you will have to type fastboot -i 0x0fce flash boot ArcKnight_RC3.5.1_ST.img to flash the kernel.Now, as soon as the kernel file is flashed, you will get the OKAY message in the command prompt window after which you will have to disconnect the phone from your computer.
- Up next you need to select “install zip from sd card” and then select the option of “choose zip from sdcard”. Once it’s done, you need to turn ON the device to find the KERNEL Logo on screen and then the BLUE LED lights up and then all you need to do is to press the back button in your phone till the device is entered in the recovery mode.
- Select install zip from sd card, then select choose zip from sd card from the recovery mode after which you will an array of files which are there in your device named as “ArcKnight_RC3.5.1_Test_Version_Modules.zip”. Once the file is selected, it will take around 4 -5 minutes for applying the update. Once the device is done with applying the two files which you have placed, select the option of “reboot system now”.
It will take around 4 – 5 minutes for rebooting the device. As soon as its done, head over to the path “Settings > About Phone” to confirm the upgraded firmware version.
So there you go, you have now successfully applied the update of Jellybean 4.1 styled custom ROM firmware in your SONY Ericsson Xperia Arc smart phone. Do let us know in the comments section just in case if you face any issues as we will try our level best to sort out the same.