AOSP for SONY Xperia T is all here and in the due course of this article we will be checking out on how to apply this in your device. Please note that this update can only be applied for all the devices which are rooted. To check on whether your SONY Xperia T is rooted or not, you will have to download the “Root Checker” app from the Google PLAY Store. Just in case if you are not aware, then AOSP is the Android Open Source Project which is a group of developers who come out with various custom ROM firmwares for different Android devices. Though there is still no official communication in by when there will be an official update of jellybean be releasing. All thanks to the Cyanogen Mod 10 sources and AOSP team for coming out with this update. Note that this is not an official firmware update released by SONY.
Just in case if you haven’t rooted and installed the Custom Recovery image, you can do the same with the help of instructions mentioned in the below link,
Its highly recommended to create a backup of all the data present in your phone so that just in case if the data gets corrupted or erased, the same can be restored with the help of below mentioned steps. Don;t use PC Companion tool for backing the data as the device may not get detected in the PC Companion in the custom ROM firmwares.
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log – Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- From the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging”, enable the USB Debugging, ensure that the USB debugging option is ticked in your SONY Xperia T. Ensure that minimum battery life is not less than 40% and also disable / uninstall all the security suites installed in your phone as these may interrupt the process of firmware update.
So assuming that you are done with all the above mentioned steps, you can now head over to the next step where we have mentioned a detailed article on how to apply this update.
Procedure to Update SONY Xperia T with CM 10 based AOSP Firmware:
- Download the CM 10 based AOSP Firmware and Google Apps Zip Package from here to your computer. Once downloaded, connect your device to the computer and place the downloaded zip file in your device’s internal sd card.
- Once the file is copied, disconnect the device and download the ROM Manager app from the Google PLAY Store. In ROM Manager, select “reboot into recovery mode” for entering the device in the recovery mode.
- Now, in recovery mode, select “Wipe data / Factory Reset” and “Wipe cache partition” to clear all the cache files if any present in your phone. After clearing the data, select “install zip from sd card” > “choose zip from sd card” and then choose the CM 10 based AOSP Firmware and Google Apps Package which you have placed in your device. Once selected, it will take around 4 -5 minutes for applying the update.
- It will take around 3 – 4 minutes for applying the update, ensure that you are not interrupting the firmware update process in the middle of firmware update by pressing the power or the menu button.
Note: If your SONY Xperia T smartphone refuses to boot up or say gets stuck on the SONY Logo which is at the start up then long press the power button to turn off the process and re follow the above mentioned instructions.
Do share with us in the comments section just in case if you face any issues as we will try our level best to sort out the same. So there you go you have now successfully applied the latest firmware update of CM 10 based AOSP Firmware which is jellybean 4.1 firmware in your SONY Xperia T smartphone.