We just saw recently on how SONY Xperia Z1 users can update their devices with the Lollipop 5.0 Android OS and now Xperia Z users too can make their devices taste the latest AOSP version of Lollipop 5.0 Android OS. Xperia Z android smartphone comes with awesome capabilities and to top it up, you can now increase the sweetness of its experience with the Lollipop Android OS. While there is good odd time of around 2 months and more for Official update to arrive for Xperia Z, till then you can make use of this AOSP based custom ROM which comes with goodness of pure Lollipop 5.0 experience.
So let’s check out on what is the detailed procedure which will help you update the device with this latest version of firmware.
Quick Pre Requisites:
- Create a backup of all the data with the help of below mentioned steps and not manually. Don’t use KIES or any automated tools for backing up the data.
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log – Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- Make sure that your device has 50% battery life and enable USB Debugging Mode which can be enabled from the Settings.
- All the drivers in your computer should be installed in your computer. Also, make sure that the ADB is installed in your computer.
- Boot loader of your SONY Xperia Z1 should be unlocked.
Disclaimer: We should not be held responsible / liable for any issues caused while upgrading the firmware.
Let’s head over to the next step where we have summed up the detailed list of procedure which will help you root the device.
Procedure to Update SONY Xperia Z with lollipop 5.0 Android OS:
- Download the Lollipop AOSP 5.0 Zip Package along with the adb_and_fastboot_files from here to your computer.
- Extract the adb and fastboot files downloaded from above to place all the above downloaded files in the adb and fastboot folder in your computer.
- Now, you need to boot your Xperia Z in the fastboot mode. Turn Off your device and Press the Volume Up button and connect the phone to the computer with original USB cable by holding the Volume Up button.
- Upon successfully entering the device in the fastboot mode, the LED light will turn blue.
- Navigate to the path where you have placed all the fastboot files earlier in the 1st step to press “Shift + Right Click” to select the “Open Command prompt window”.
- In command prompt, you need to enter in the below mentioned commands;
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
- Once all the files are flashed, reboot the device using the below mentioned command;
Please note that it will take around 4 -5 minutes for the firmware to get applied. Once applied, the device will take some time to get ready/ initialize the apps. Do let us know in the comments section just in case if you face any issues in the process of firmware update.