How to Update SONY Xperia PLAY with Official 4.0.2.E.0.57 Firmware Update
An all new update has hit the Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY devices which is dubbed as 4.0.2.E.0.57, don’t get confused with the firmware version which starts with 4.0.2 with that of an ICS update as this update which is officially pushed via OTA is not an ICS update and is a Gingerbread update of 2.3.4 version. In the process of this article, we will be checking out on what are the instructions one has to follow so as to update their Xperia PLAY with the help of pre requisites and then followed by a detailed tutorial on how to get / apply this update in your Xperia PLAY.
It was the last time we discussed on how one can apply the update of ICS Android 4.0 firmware version but it’s the custom ROM firmware which can only be applied on the devices which are rooted ones.
Disclaimer: Neither AndroidAdvices, nor developer should be held responsible for any damage happened to your device in the process of following the instructions mentioned in this article. It’s very unlikely that there will be any issues but just in case if at all there are any issues then we are committed to help you in solving the same.
Features of Gingerbread 2.3.4 Update for Xperia PLAY:
- VZW Video On Demand now comes pre loaded with this update,
- User Experience has been improved and new delivery method for Preloaded games comes up,
- Music Player now supports Fast Forward and Rewind options when connected with Bluetooth,
- VZ Navigator is now been updated to support 3D Maps,
- Upgraded to 2.3.4 Gingerbread 2.3.4 Firmware,
- A long-press of the power button will successfully capture a screen shot,
- Charging issues forcing device to remain in landscape mode have been resolved,
• Right trigger successfully captures a picture.
• Record video in 720p with continuous auto-focus.
- Issues related to the Contacts listing has been updated,
- Device is now enabled with the Wireless Emergency Alerting System,
- Mobile Hotspot ID Broadcast can now be turned Off for increasing security
Essential Pre Requisites:
- Though there is no advisory on that the data will be lost or corrupted in the process of applying this update, but we recommend you to back up the data with the help of below mentioned steps manually or with the PC Companion which we assume that you have installed in your computer.
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log - Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- Minimum charge left in the device should be at least 60% so as to ensure that device doesn’t get turned Off in the middle of firmware update.
- Enable the USB Debugging in your Sony Xperia PLAY from the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging”. The USB Debugging option should be ticked. Disable all the antivirus suites in your computer and uninstall the same in your device as these tools generally tend to interrupt the process of firmware update.
After following all the above mentioned steps, it’s time to head to next page where we have summed up a detailed guide on how to apply this all new update in your Xperia Play smart phone.