SONY Xperia Z1 Android smartphone can now be updated with the latest version of Android 5.0 Lollipop AOSP based ROM. This new firmware update comes with the goodness of Lollipop 5.0 which comes with more than 5000 new APIs. With increased app support and re defined material support, buoy this upgrade is one of the best ever. SONY has earlier mentioned that Android Lollipop will soon be available for more devices apart from latest Xperia series of smartphones. So let’s have a quick check on how you can apply this firmware update.
Quick Pre Requisites:
- Create a backup of all the data with the help of below mentioned steps and not manually. Don’t use KIES or any automated tools for backing up the data.
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log – Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- Make sure that your device has 50% battery life and enable USB Debugging Mode which can be enabled from the Settings.
- All the drivers in your computer should be installed in your computer. Also, make sure that the ADB is installed in your computer.
- Boot loader of your SONY Xperia Z1 should be unlocked.
Disclaimer: We should not be held responsible / liable for any issues caused while upgrading the firmware.
Let’s head over to the next step where we have summed up the detailed list of procedure which will help you root the device.
Procedure to Update SONY Xperia Z1 Android smartphone with Android 5.0 AOSP:
- Download the boot image and system image zip file along with the adb_and_fastboot_files from here to your computer.
- Place all the above downloaded files in the adb and fastboot folder in your computer.
- Now, you need to boot your Xperia Z1 in the fastboot mode. Turn Off your device and Press the Volume Up button and connect the phone to the computer with original USB cable by holding the Volume Up button.
- Upon successfully entering the device in the fastboot mode, the LED light will turn blue.
- Navigate to the path where you have placed all the fastboot files earlier in the 1st step to press “Shift + Right Click” to select the “Open Command prompt window”.
- In command prompt, you need to enter in the below mentioned commands;
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
fastboot flash cache cache.img
- Once all the files are flashed, reboot the device using the below mentioned command;
The firmware application process will take around 3-6 minutes, sometimes it may even take longer time than expected. So there you go, you will now see that the device is loaded with the latest lollipop 5.0 version of Android. Do let us know in the comments section just in case if you face any issues in the process of firmware update.